Register to reply

Who made Physics Forums?

by heman
Tags: None
Share this thread:
ramollari
Mar18-05, 10:09 AM
P: 453
It's a place where newbies become better scientists, and experienced scientists eat up their time. But it is real fun for everyone! Very few forums offer such a community.
russ_watters
Mar18-05, 11:33 AM
Mentor
P: 22,315
Quote Quote by RoboSapien
Dont worry I will soon launch PF2.0 with no moderators. There will be mass moderation. something similar but much more advanced that this
http://slashdot.org/moderation.shtml
that is going to cause quite a mass wipeout of all the forums on internet because it wont be limited only to physics or science.
Actually, this is 2.0 (iirc), but in any case, that mass moderation is an interesting theory. Someone should do sociological research on it...
Evo
Mar18-05, 12:46 PM
Mentor
P: 26,664
This wouldn't work in GD.

Stay on topic:
Off topic posts are slapped quickly and consistently with "-1" by moderators.

Be original:
Avoid being redundant and just repeating what has already been said. (Did I really just say that?) Yes, being moderated as "redundant" is worth "-1" to your post and your karma. Especially to be avoided are the "what he said" and "me too" posts.
Gokul43201
Mar18-05, 03:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by Evo
Be original:
Avoid being redundant and just repeating what has already been said. (Did I really just say that?) Yes, being moderated as "redundant" is worth "-1" to your post and your karma. Especially to be avoided are the "what he said" and "me too" posts.
I believe there are several times when it's necessary to second someone's input - especially if a question has several different responses, all but one wrong.
Evo
Mar18-05, 04:31 PM
Mentor
P: 26,664
Quote Quote by Gokul43201
I believe there are several times when it's necessary to second someone's input - especially if a question has several different responses, all but one wrong.
I agree, that rule is a bit ridiculous, they're saying no one should post that they are in agreement?
Tom Mattson
Mar18-05, 04:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,532
Quote Quote by russ_watters
Actually, this is 2.0 (iirc),
This is in fact PF v3.0.
Moonbear
Mar18-05, 10:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by Gokul43201
I second that! Oh, wait, Evo already seconded that...I third that!

-1 for me! Or is that -2 for seconding both Gokul and Evo?

I think it's one of those things that sounds better in theory than it would turn out in practice.
Chronos
Mar19-05, 01:47 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,491
Girls, go figure. Yesterday they joined the convent, today they are liberated... and they say men are complicated...
RoboSapien
Mar21-05, 07:03 AM
P: 99
Quote Quote by russ_watters
Actually, this is 2.0 (iirc), but in any case, that mass moderation is an interesting theory. Someone should do sociological research on it...
Thanks, I was just joking.

I was a bit off topic but wanted to spread awarness to people like EVO about mass moderation but please Dont give me a minus 1.
Edgardo
Mar21-05, 01:05 PM
P: 686
By the way, what was the the first message ever posted in physicsforums (I guess one by Greg), and what was the first question ever posted in physicsforum?

Who were the first 100 forum members? And how many members do we have right now?
Nacho
Mar21-05, 01:33 PM
P: 170
So, I think a board devoted to the history of physics and her players might be great to have.

There might not be too much discussion there .. but it might be a fascinating read.
Monique
Mar21-05, 02:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
may 02 2001 http://web.archive.org/web/200103020...icsforums.com/
Nacho
Mar21-05, 07:44 PM
P: 170
Hmmm .. that's the problem with only leavings links in the body of a response, and nothing more. A person reading them can never tell for sure who they were ment for, and in response to what post.
ramollari
Mar22-05, 02:46 AM
So is the current PF a new forum, or did it update the one pointed by your link? I had thought that PF started working in March 2003.
ramollari
Mar22-05, 02:50 AM
Quote Quote by Edgardo
And how many members do we have right now?
Regarding your last question, look at the home page. A number of 18,000 and something is given.

Quote Quote by Edgardo
Who were the first 100 forum members?
Those who have the earliest join dates are obviously the first members. True, Greg has to make some statistics to show to us.
chroot
Mar22-05, 03:04 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
PF members, sorted by join date:

http://www.physicsforums.com/memberl...te&pp=30&ltr=#

Notice that many of the first membes were people who jumped immediately from the previous version of PF.

- Warren
Tom Mattson
Mar22-05, 03:32 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,532
Quote Quote by chroot
Notice that many of the first membes were people who jumped immediately from the previous version of PF.
Not just that, but the Mentors from the time were allowed over first to come over and start playing before everyone else.
Monique
Mar22-05, 04:41 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by ramollari
So is the current PF a new forum, or did it update the one pointed by your link? I had thought that PF started working in March 2003.
The link is a snapshot of how PF looked in may 2001, the forums first started in februari of that year. The current PF is the same forum, but updated. Here is the memberslist of the first start http://web.archive.org/web/200103060...om/members.asp

Register to reply