What will I be studying?

by Quarkycharm
Tags: studying
Quarkycharm
Mar23-05, 12:27 PM
P: 15
Hey all,
I'm currently confused of what to study in college. I'm thinking about two options, Physics or Electrical Engineering.

Anyway, what physics classes will I be taking, I know elecricity and magnetism, but will I be taking quantum or particle physics or even relativity?

And could you just give me some tips or advices regarding EG?

Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A smart prosthetic knee with in-vivo diagnoses
Old tires become material for new and improved roads
Students take clot-buster for a spin
willib
Mar23-05, 07:08 PM
P: 228
either one is cool..
the physics i took was physics w/calculus 1 & 2.. with Halliday & Resnick books
then i had a relativity course , Modern Physics..
this was for EE..
the first one covered Motion , the second covered magnetism & electricity..
the third covered quantum physics & relativity..no particle physics was required..
i dont know what physics courses you would be taking as a physics major..
shadow12345
Mar24-05, 09:35 PM
P: 9
I took a semester in electrical engineering at the university of maine and dropped out of the program and transferred to Mathematics. Your first year in either area of concentration will basically be identical, and will consist of heavy math (typically up through calculus 3, possibly also linear algebra and differential equations), physics, and all of your general schooling requirements. ECE will include computer programming, typically in C/C++ and assembly. Electrical engineering tends to be (subjectively speaking) the hardest area of concentration. If you choose it, be damn sure you *really* want it. I am an avid computer programmer and math geek and considered myself substantially ahead intellectually against my peers, but I had a harder time with the course because it was not what I wanted to do.

What we did in electrical engineering 101:
We assembled a small remote controlled car in teams of 3. The car was controlled by an infrared signal. Everything that could be made by human hands, we built. It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I got a D in the course. However, to be fair, I did learn a lot and I'm not bitter, I was just a casualty of joining a program I wasn't actually interested enough in. And of course we also learned the basics of electricity, including ohms law, capacitors, how timers work, how logic gates work, how to build the most efficient systems of gates, stuff like that.

Register to reply