Help choosing modules for electrical engineer - electronics degree

bigmike94
TL;DR Summary: Which path would be best. Physics or mechanical for electrical engineering.

My uni doesn’t offer electrical engineering but offers electronics engineering.

Looking for advice from anyone in industry or similar.

I’m on an open STEM degree and I’m following the electronics route, upon graduating I want to be an electronics or electrical engineer (I am self studying extra electrical topics).

But in stages 2 and 3 I have a couple of “spare” credits I need to use.

For my desired career path would it be more suitable to choose

A)
stage 1:

• Engineering core A (has some electricity topics)

• Engineering core B (this module has nothing to do with electricity)

• Electronics 1

• Mechanical engineering heat and flow

Stage 2:

• Electronics 2

• Nanoscale engineering

• Mechanical computer aided engineering

• Communications technology

OR

B )

Stage 1:

• Engineering core a

• Physics: classical to quantum (has electricity topics and I’m already familiar with the topics taught) (60 credits)

• Electronics 1

Stage 2:

• Electronics 2

• Nanoscale Engineering

• Electromagnetism (physics module)

• Communication technology
To confuse things more. I could also follow a different path that cuts out the mechanical modules and replaces them with software engineering modules.

Physics news on Phys.org
I’ll sum it up and make it a bit more digestible;

Electronics & Mechanical

Electronics & Physics

Electronics & Software

What kind of work do you want to do in EE? What specialties interest you?

My extra classes were in Physics and CS; I don't think any ME classes would have helped me in my EE career. But if you're into robotics and electromechanical systems, the ME classes would help that.

berkeman said:
What kind of work do you want to do in EE? What specialties interest you?

My extra classes were in Physics and CS; I don't think any ME classes would have helped me in my EE career. But if you're into robotics and electromechanical systems, the ME classes would help that.
anything electrical to be honest, the subject is fascinating, but ideally electronic products or electrical machines etc. I just want to improve my employability and not just have to stick to applying for electronic roles, even though that would be the preferred career path, I’d like to apply for a broad range of electrical engineering roles.

There’s EE graduate jobs in my area that mention electronics degrees are welcome but I’d still like to better prepare myself

1. What are the core modules for an electrical engineering - electronics degree?

The core modules for an electrical engineering - electronics degree typically include courses in circuit analysis, digital electronics, analog electronics, electromagnetics, and control systems.

2. Are there any recommended elective modules for this degree?

Some recommended elective modules for an electrical engineering - electronics degree may include courses in power systems, signal processing, microelectronics, and communication systems. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine which electives best align with your interests and career goals.

3. How can I decide which modules are best for me?

Choosing modules for your degree can be a daunting task, but it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research the course descriptions and talk to upperclassmen or professors to gain a better understanding of the modules and their relevance to your field of study.

4. Are there any prerequisites for these modules?

Yes, there may be prerequisites for some modules, such as introductory math and physics courses. It is important to review the course requirements and plan your schedule accordingly to ensure you have completed all necessary prerequisites before enrolling in a module.

5. Can I switch modules after starting the degree?

It is possible to switch modules after starting the degree, but it may require additional time and effort to catch up on missed coursework. It is important to carefully consider your decision and consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your module selection.