Semicircle Problem: What Does dA=R dR d(theta) Mean?

• Thread starter n05tr4d4177u5
  • Start date
In summary: A = \int^{R}_{R=0} \int^{theta}_{theta=0} dr d(theta) which let's me integrate along y axis,Now, to find the area of the semicircle we just need to take the derivative with respect to theta: \frac{dA}{d(theta)} = \frac{R}{R} \cdot \frac{d(theta)}{d(theta)} which let's me integrate along y axis,So the area of the semicircle is: A = \int
n05tr4d4177u5
i have been told that dA=R dR d(theta), what does mean exactly in terms of pi. the shape is a semicircle. Does this mean that d(theta) is 180, or pi. Please give me an example.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, dA is a notation for an area element (infinitely small).

1. Suppose you are using polar coordinates [tex]r,\theta[/tex], what sort of region is described by the inequalities:
[tex]R\leq{r}\leq{R}+\bigtriangleup{R},\theta_{0}\leq\theta\leq\theta_{0}+\bigtriangleup{\theta}[/tex]

You ought to see that this represent a specific portion of a section of a circle.

2. Now, if you let [tex]\bigtriangleup{R},\bigtriangleup\theta[/tex] tend towards zero, you may approximate this region as a rectangle (or trapezoid, if you like that better). What should the (tiny!) area of this figure be?

that doesn't really help my question

here is an example of mine that i have
suppose i hae a rectangle,

in a rectangles case, dA = dX dY

if i have the rectangles width and it is 4 m, then dA = 4dY,

which let's me integrate along y axis,

now for a semicircle, how would i do that if dA = r dr d(theta)

also

so what i did, was changed dr to dy, and now i need to change d(theta) which should be a number (like in the case of 4 m for rectangle), and it has to be in terms of pi,
the shape is a semi circle

n05tr4d4177u5 said:

You do know how to integrate, don't you?
If you are to compute the area of the semicircle, the [tex]\theta[/tex] integration is trivial, so you can find out that by yourself.

i don't know

no i don't know, its been a while since i integrated a circle

please help me, that's why I am asking, i haven't done that in years

Well, can you at least post the integral you want to compute, specifying the intervals in which R and the angle must lie in for the semi-circle?

y = d(theta) Y ^ 2

integrate from y=R to y= 0

Shape is semi circle

This is not what is in your book (it doesn't make any sense). Please type in correctly.

imagine the top half of a circle. the origin lies along the bottom of the semicircle, and in the middle. y-axis up, and x-axis to the right and left. i think theta can only go from 0 to 180 degrees since it is a semi circle. Y = d(theta) R squared
R = radius, integrate from 0 to R

What is Y?
Do you know what the d in front of (theta) means?

n05tr4d4177u5 said:

Well, why do you believe this to be true?

How do you derive that?

lol

are u reallly an advisor, cuase its unbelievable youve never seen that before,

example , the integral of ydy = y squared/ 2

Sure I have, but you are so vague and obtuse that I don't think you understand what you write yourself.
So, again:
show that you have at least a minimum of mathematical skill and understanding.
I have already shown you how you can do this problem, but it doesn't seem you have the competence to follow a perfectly clear line of reasoning.

n05tr4d4177u5 said:

You are good up to here.

Why can you write this? Where did it come from? You cannot just drop the dx and it is not automaticlly set to 4 or any other value.

One of the first things you need to do is carefully define your rectangle in terms of your coordinate system.

Suppose one corner is at the origin, x=y=0 and the diagonal corner is at x=L, y=W. To find the area we must define our integral:
[tex] \int dA = \int^{y=W}_{y=0} \int^{x=L}_{x=0} dx dy [/tex]
Can you complete the above integral?

Ok, now let's set up the integral for the area of a semi circle.
Once again we need to define the circle in terms of the coordinate system.

If the center of the circle is at the origin and the radius is R.

So to get the Area of the circle (or portion there of) the radius will take on values between 0 and R, while the angle [itex]\Theta[/itex] varies from 0 to [itex] \pi[/itex] (for a semi circle). Now let's set up the integral

[tex] \int dA = \int ^{\Theta=\pi} _{\Theta=0} \int^{r=R}_{r=0} rdr d\Theta[/tex]

Can you evaluate the integral?

imagine the top half of a circle. the origin lies along the bottom of the semicircle, and in the middle. y-axis up, and x-axis to the right and left. i think theta can only go from 0 to 180 degrees since it is a semi circle. Y = d(theta) R squared
R = radius, integrate from 0 to R

You haven't stated a problem here! What do you want to integrate from 0 to R? What function are you integrating?

If you just want the area, look at the problem you gave:

if i have the rectangles width and it is 4 m, then dA = 4dY
(And arildno did not say he had never seen that before, he was trying to get you to think about why you think that was true.)

Suppose your semi-circles radius is R. Then dA= r dr dθ. In a sense, dr here, as well as r, is r: along each radius we go from r= 0 to R so the "change in r", dr, is R.

Okay, then r dr dθ becomes dA= R2 dθ, just like your dX dY became 4dy, the area of the semi-circle is
[tex]\int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} R^2 d\theta= \pi R^2[/tex], exactly the right answer.

(θ does not go from 0 to 180! As I am sure you learned in when you were learning the derivatives of sine and cosine, in calculus, all angles are in radians.)

(Oh, and by the way, why was this posted under "differential equations". Was this part of a differential equations problem?)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Semicircle Problem?

The Semicircle Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area of a semicircle by using the formula dA = R*dR*d(theta), where dA is the differential of the area, R is the radius, and d(theta) is the differential of the angle.

2. How is the formula dA=R dR d(theta) derived?

The formula dA=R dR d(theta) is derived using the concept of integration in calculus. By dividing the semicircle into infinitesimally small sectors, we can calculate the area of each sector using the formula for the area of a triangle, which is 1/2*base*height. Then, by summing up the areas of all the sectors, we can find the total area of the semicircle.

3. What does R represent in the formula dA=R dR d(theta)?

R represents the radius of the semicircle. It is a constant value and does not change as we move along the circumference of the semicircle.

4. How does the angle d(theta) affect the area of the semicircle?

The angle d(theta) represents the change in the angle of the semicircle. As the angle increases, the area of the semicircle also increases. This is because a larger angle corresponds to a larger arc length, which results in a larger area.

5. Can the formula dA=R dR d(theta) be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the same concept and formula can be applied to other shapes, such as circles and sectors. However, the value of R and the limits of integration may change depending on the shape being calculated.