Centre of mass of a semicircle using polar coordinates

For example, your statement that "the centre of mass of each sector being at R/2 along its radius" is incorrect.
walking
I am labelling this as undergraduate because I got it from an undergraduate physics book (Tipler and Mosca).

The uniform semicircle has radius R and mass M. I am getting the wrong answer but I can't see where I am going wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

My solution:

The centre of mass satisfies ##M\mathbf{r_{cm}}=\int \mathbf{r} dM##. In order to use polar coordinates, we will consider an element of area ##dA## and sum over all elements in the semicircle.

We have ##dA=\frac{1}{2}R^2 d\theta## and since the semicircle is uniform we have ##\frac{M}{A}=\frac{dM}{dA}## where ##A## is the area of the semicircle, ie ##dM=\frac{2M}{\pi R^2} dA##. Also, the position of this area along the semicircular arc we are sweeping out is ##R\cos \theta \mathbf{i}+R\sin \theta \mathbf{j}##. Substituting this into the integral we get

##M\mathbf{r_{cm}}=\int (R\cos \theta \mathbf{i}+R\sin \theta \mathbf{j}) (\frac{2M}{\pi R^2}(\frac{1}{2}R^2 d\theta))##

##=\frac{MR}{\pi} \int \cos \theta \mathbf{i}+\sin \theta \mathbf{j} d\theta##

and I simplified this to get ##M\mathbf{r_{cm}} = \frac{2RM}{\pi} \mathbf{j}##.

Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The area element in polar coordinates is [itex]r\,dr\,d\theta[/itex]. The position of the area element is [itex](r\cos\theta, r\sin\theta)[/itex].

Thus the integral is [tex]
\frac{2M}{\pi R^2} \int_0^\pi \int_0^R r(r\cos\theta, r\sin\theta)\,dr\,d\theta
= \frac{2M}{\pi R^2} \int_0^R r^2\,dr \int_0^\pi (\cos\theta, \sin\theta)\,d\theta.[/tex]

The mass is not concentrated at [itex]r = R[/itex].

pasmith said:
The area element in polar coordinates is [itex]r\,dr\,d\theta[/itex]. The position of the area element is [itex](r\cos\theta, r\sin\theta)[/itex].

Thus the integral is [tex]
\frac{2M}{\pi R^2} \int_0^\pi \int_0^R r(r\cos\theta, r\sin\theta)\,dr\,d\theta
= \frac{2M}{\pi R^2} \int_0^R r^2\,dr \int_0^\pi (\cos\theta, \sin\theta)\,d\theta.[/tex]

The mass is not concentrated at [itex]r = R[/itex].
Sorry I don't understand the notation you used. Maybe I was not using polar coordinates (in which case I should change the title).

Could you please write the solution in terms of my notation?

walking said:
Sorry I don't understand the notation you used. Maybe I was not using polar coordinates (in which case I should change the title).

Could you please write the solution in terms of my notation?

[tex]
\frac{2M}{\pi R^2} \int_0^\pi \int_0^R r(r\cos\theta \mathbf{i} + r\sin\theta \mathbf{j})\,dr\,d\theta
= \frac{2M}{\pi R^2} \int_0^R r^2\,dr \int_0^\pi (\cos\theta\mathbf{i} + \sin\theta\mathbf{j})\,d\theta.[/tex]

The point is that you are effectively assuming that the mass is concentrated at [itex]r = R[/itex], but in fact it is uniformly distributed from [itex]r = 0[/itex] to [itex]r = R[/itex]. Hence you must do a double integral.

pasmith said:
[tex]
\frac{2M}{\pi R^2} \int_0^\pi \int_0^R r(r\cos\theta \mathbf{i} + r\sin\theta \mathbf{j})\,dr\,d\theta
= \frac{2M}{\pi R^2} \int_0^R r^2\,dr \int_0^\pi (\cos\theta\mathbf{i} + \sin\theta\mathbf{j})\,d\theta.[/tex]

The point is that you are effectively assuming that the mass is concentrated at [itex]r = R[/itex], but in fact it is uniformly distributed from [itex]r = 0[/itex] to [itex]r = R[/itex]. Hence you must do a double integral.
Could you please post the full solution?

I have read a bit about double integrals using Kleppner and Kolenkow but I still don't see how it applies to the semicircle. Every time I try to evaluate it I end up with the centre of mass of each sector being at R/2 along its radius and this leads to a wrong answer again.

I think you need to read up on surface and volume integrals and how to calculate them (as for example here) before proceeding further. Without that knowledge you will not be able to correctly answer your question.

Likes walking

1. What is the formula for finding the centre of mass of a semicircle using polar coordinates?

The formula for finding the centre of mass of a semicircle using polar coordinates is (0, 4r/3π), where r is the radius of the semicircle.

2. How do you convert Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), use the following formulas: r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan^-1(y/x).

3. Can the centre of mass of a semicircle be outside the semicircle?

No, the centre of mass of a semicircle will always be located within the semicircle.

4. What is the physical significance of the centre of mass of a semicircle?

The centre of mass of a semicircle represents the point at which the mass of the semicircle can be considered to be concentrated, making it a useful concept in physics and engineering calculations.

5. How does the centre of mass of a semicircle change with different radii?

The centre of mass of a semicircle will always be located on the vertical axis of symmetry, but its distance from the base of the semicircle will vary with different radii. As the radius increases, the centre of mass will move further away from the base of the semicircle.