Proving Continuity in Metric Spaces Using Open Sets

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the continuity of a function f from a metric space (X,D) to another metric space (Y,D') using the theorem "pre-images of open sets are open." The speaker suggests using this theorem to find a "q" radius around x such that N(x,q) is open in (X,D). They also mention that showing the preimage of any open set is open would suffice to prove continuity.
TimNguyen
Suppose f is a function from a metric space (X,D) into another metric space (Y,D') such that D(x,x') >= kD'(f(x),f(x'), where k is a constant positive real number. Prove that f is continuous.

Okay, I know that there is a theorem that says "pre-images of open sets are open" so I suppose I can use that.

Let U be an open set in (Y,D'). Since U is open, then there exists a neighborhood, N(f(x),p) (a p-neighborhood around f(x).) such that it exists in U. By theorem, neighborhoods are always open. (so basically, I need to find a "q" radius around x such that N(x,q) is open in (X,D).) Although I know what the conclusion should be, I can't find a way to approach that solution.

Could anyone give any assistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is some point x' in X that maps to p, then let you know p=f(x'), and you can use the assumption in the problem. The preimage of U is the set of all x that map to some p in U, and if you can show these are in an open neighborhood of x, the function is continuous. (Well technically, you should show that the preimage of any open set is open, which would use the fact that any open set is the union of open balls)

Last edited:

1. What is continuity in metric spaces?

Continuity in metric spaces refers to the property of a function that the values of the function change smoothly as the input values change. In other words, small changes in the input result in small changes in the output.

2. How is continuity defined in metric spaces?

A function f is said to be continuous at a point c in the domain if and only if for every ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that for all x in the domain, if d(x, c) < δ, then d(f(x), f(c)) < ε, where d denotes the metric in the metric space.

3. What is the importance of continuity in metric spaces?

Continuity in metric spaces is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function as the input values change. It also allows us to make predictions about the values of the function at points that are not explicitly given. Furthermore, continuity is a key concept in many areas of mathematics, including calculus and analysis.

4. What are some examples of continuous functions in metric spaces?

Some examples of continuous functions in metric spaces include polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. In these cases, small changes in the input result in small changes in the output, satisfying the definition of continuity.

5. What are some common techniques for proving continuity in metric spaces?

One common technique for proving continuity in metric spaces is using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity. Another technique is to use the sequential criterion for continuity, which states that a function is continuous at a point c if and only if for every sequence (xn) in the domain that converges to c, the sequence (f(xn)) converges to f(c). Lastly, one may also use theorems and properties of continuous functions, such as the continuity of compositions of continuous functions.