Register to reply

Help with algebra in a physics problem

by JoshHolloway
Tags: algebra, physics
Share this thread:
JoshHolloway
Oct5-05, 04:19 PM
P: 222
I don't need help with the physics, it is simply the algebra that I can't figure out in this problem. Here am where I am at:
[tex] -m_{1} a + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta = \frac{\m_{2} a +m_{2} g \cos \theta }{ \cos \theta } [/tex]
I need to solve for a. How the heck do I do this? How can I factor the a's into just one a?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
amcavoy
Oct5-05, 04:34 PM
P: 668
Quote Quote by JoshHolloway
I don't need help with the physics, it is simply the algebra that I can't figure out in this problem. Here am where I am at:
[tex] -m_{1} a + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta = \frac{\m_{2} a + m_{2} g \cos \theta }{ \cos \theta } [/tex]
I need to solve for a. How the heck do I do this? How can I factor the a's into just one a?
My suggestion is to multiply both sides by cosθ, thereby eliminating any fractions. From there, rearrange terms so that any term with an a in it is on one side, and everything else is on another. Now you can factor an a out of this and solve.

Alex
JoshHolloway
Oct5-05, 04:35 PM
in the fraction it is supposed to say m2, not just a subscript two. I don't know what I did wrong.
And I did that. Here I will show you how far I have gotten past that. Just a few minutes...

JoshHolloway
Oct5-05, 04:37 PM
Help with algebra in a physics problem

[tex] \cos \theta [-m_{1} a + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta] = m_{2} a +m_{2} g \cos \theta [/tex]
amcavoy
Oct5-05, 04:39 PM
[tex] \cos \theta [-m_{1} a + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta] = m_{2} a +m_{2} g \cos \theta[/tex]
That's step 1. Now distribute the cosine and put all of the terms containing an a in them on one side. Tell me what you get.

Alex
JoshHolloway
Oct5-05, 04:40 PM
alright just one moment....
JoshHolloway
Oct5-05, 04:42 PM
[tex] -m_{1} a \cos \theta + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos ^2 \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta \cos \theta = m_{2} a +m_{2} g \cos \theta [/tex]
JoshHolloway
Oct5-05, 04:43 PM
I distributed, now one moment and I will attempt to do the second step you said. By the way this is REALLY helping.
JoshHolloway
Oct5-05, 04:47 PM
[tex] \mu ( m_{1} g \cos ^2 \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta \cos \theta - m_{2} g \cos \theta = m_{1} a \cos \theta + m_{2} a [/tex]
JoshHolloway
Oct5-05, 04:49 PM
[tex] \mu ( m_{1} g \cos ^2 \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta \cos \theta - m_{2} g \cos \theta = a (m_{1} \cos \theta + m_{2}) [/tex]
JoshHolloway
Oct5-05, 04:49 PM
You are a godsend! Thanks alot friend.
amcavoy
Oct5-05, 04:54 PM
You are a godsend! Thanks alot friend.
Glad I could help

Register to reply