Another Trig Identity

by cscott
Tags: identity, trig
Share this thread:
cscott
Oct9-05, 01:55 PM
P: 786
[tex]1 - \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta[/tex]

I can only get to [tex] \frac{2\sin^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta}[/tex] and I don't know if that's correct.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
TD
Oct9-05, 04:19 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,021
Perhaps you should check the problem again because it doesn't seem correct to me. Try [itex]\theta = 3\pi /2[/itex], the LHS will be 1 while the RHS is -1.
Fermat
Oct9-05, 04:22 PM
HW Helper
P: 876
It's not an identity!

Let θ = -π/2

then lhs = 1 - cosē(-π/2)/(1 + sinē(-π/2))
lhs = 1 - 0/2
lhs = 1
=====

but rhs = sin(-π/2) = -sin(π/2) = -1
rhs = - 1
=======

Since lhs ≠ rhs, it can't be an identity.

cscott
Oct9-05, 04:35 PM
Another Trig Identity

OMG, I've spent so much time trying to figure it out... I never thought of checking to make sure it was indeed an identity. I guess my teacher made a mistake. Thanks guys.

(Don't worry, I'll be back with another too soon )
Fermat
Oct9-05, 04:45 PM
HW Helper
I did a quick check to see if it was an identity. After all , you were having trouble !
It checked out ok for θ = 0 and θ = pi/2, so I did some work on it.
It was only later on that I plugged the expressions into graphmatica and found out they were actually two different functions !!
cscott
Oct10-05, 02:39 PM
[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta} = 2 \sec \theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} = (\sec \theta - \tan \theta)^2[/tex]

I can't seem to get anywhere with these...
Fermat
Oct10-05, 04:25 PM
HW Helper
For the 1st one, cross-multiply the two terms in the lhs and simplify.
Fermat
Oct10-05, 04:30 PM
HW Helper
For the 2nd one, multiply the lhs by (1 - sinθ) and simplify.
cscott
Oct10-05, 07:26 PM
I can only get to [itex]2 \sin \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] for the first after cross multiplying.

For the second, how can I just multiply by [itex](1 - \sin \theta)[/itex]? I thought you can only multiply by 1?
arildno
Oct10-05, 07:48 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by cscott
[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta} = 2 \sec \theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} = (\sec \theta - \tan \theta)^2[/tex]

I can't seem to get anywhere with these...
[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta}=\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta}+\frac{1+\sin\theta}{1+\sin\theta}\frac{\cos\theta}{1-\sin\theta}=\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} +\frac{1+\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}=\frac{2}{\cos\theta}=2sec\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} =\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1-\sin\theta}\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1+\sin\theta}=\frac{(1-\sin\theta)^{2}}{\cos^{2}\theta}=(sec\theta-tan\theta)^{2}[/tex]
cscott
Oct10-05, 08:04 PM
I see, thanks.
Fermat
Oct10-05, 11:34 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by cscott
I can only get to [itex]2 \sin \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] for the first after cross multiplying.

For the second, how can I just multiply by [itex](1 - \sin \theta)[/itex]? I thought you can only multiply by 1?
Ah, sorry, that should have been, multiply above and below by (1 - sinθ)

Register to reply