Register to reply

Pre-Calculas Vs. Calculas

by Line
Tags: calculas, precalculas
Share this thread:
Line
Oct12-05, 02:13 AM
P: 218
I've studied Pre-Calculas with derivitaves and all but not Calculas. Is it that much different from Precal or is it about the same as Precal?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
HallsofIvy
Oct12-05, 06:17 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
I'm not sure what you mean by "Pre-Calculus with derivatives". That sounds like at least the first part of Calclulus! You do need to be very, very good at algebra in order to do calculus so "pre-calculus" typically involves a lot of algebra. How much like or unlike calculus it is depends a lot on the particular course. Some of the concepts in calculus, particularly those involving limits, are very subtle and very different from "before calculus" courses.
Line
Oct12-05, 07:05 AM
Just what does a typical Calculas course consist of?

ranger
Oct12-05, 08:29 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,685
Pre-Calculas Vs. Calculas

Quote Quote by Line
Just what does a typical Calculas course consist of?
  • Limits and Rates of Change
    Derivatives
    Applications of Derivatives
    Antiderivatives,Integrals, Definite Integrals, indefinite integrals
    Applications of Integration

Thats a typical of topics for calculus 1.
amcavoy
Oct12-05, 11:26 AM
P: 666
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy
I'm not sure what you mean by "Pre-Calculus with derivatives". That sounds like at least the first part of Calclulus! You do need to be very, very good at algebra in order to do calculus so "pre-calculus" typically involves a lot of algebra. How much like or unlike calculus it is depends a lot on the particular course. Some of the concepts in calculus, particularly those involving limits, are very subtle and very different from "before calculus" courses.
In my precalculus class a while back I studied derivatives at the very end of the course. However, most of single-var. differential calculus was actually taught in calc. 1. Is this similar to what you're thinking of?

Alex
Tom Mattson
Oct12-05, 02:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,533
Where I teach we have a sequence entitled "Calculus with Precalculus I-II". I don't know how common it is, but basically it has all the material from Precalculus and Calculus I folded in together. The idea is that you learn a that bit of Precalc that you need for a particular Calc unit, right before you need it.

Maybe that's what the OP is getting at.
Line
Oct12-05, 08:05 PM
I got Precal but is Calculas much harder?
mezarashi
Oct12-05, 08:12 PM
HW Helper
P: 661
Quote Quote by Line
I got Precal but is Calculas much harder?
You won't know until you try it :P
But I think most people would agree that of all the "post-precal" mathematics, calculus would be the easiest, even in vector form.
stmoe
Oct12-05, 10:17 PM
P: 26
I know a lot of kids who took precalc , which isn't really all that worthwhile IMAO ,... i didn't do it, I just went to calc .... and the kids struggled a little, but it was only because the stuff was new to them .. like precalculus didn't really give them skills to be used in calculus.. then again they also didn't cover the state standards and stuff, so maybe i was better off ....
Line
Oct13-05, 09:39 PM
I need a website that explains Calculus.
1800bigk
Oct14-05, 09:45 AM
P: 42
Here is a good website on calulus 1 and 2 topics. http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/

Here is one for calc 3 stuff
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/AllBr.../2415/2415.asp
leon1127
Oct16-05, 10:44 PM
P: 487
Quote Quote by Line
I've studied Pre-Calculas with derivitaves and all but not Calculas. Is it that much different from Precal or is it about the same as Precal?
Upon the schedual of the pre-cal classes, most teacher would introduce the definition of derivative by using limit. Moreover, I assume that they will not go in to power rule and anything beyond.

Register to reply