Why Wave Function Extends in Finite Potential Well

In summary, the wave function inside a finite potential well is Asin(lx) + Bcos(lx), while outside the well it is Fe^(-ka), where k: Sqrt[-2mE]/hbar (k is real because E<0). As the energy of the bound state increases, the exponent becomes less negative, resulting in a larger wave function outside the well. This can also be confirmed by calculating the transmission coefficient. Physically, higher energies have higher tunnelling coefficients, meaning that they are more likely to penetrate through barriers, similar to diving into a deep pool of sand with more momentum.
'AQF
I need to explain why, as the energy of a bound state in a finite potential well increases, the wave function extends more outside of the well. I need to do this from both a mathematical and a physical point of view. I think I know the mathematical explanation (see attached image). Can anyone help me with the physical explanation?

Attachments

• math.JPG
    math.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you quite understand the physics or the math of the problem yet.

To answer your question quickly, the wave function inside the well is:
Asin(lx) + Bcos(lx)

outside the well is:
Fe^(-ka) where k: Sqrt[-2mE]/hbar (k is real because E<0)

Now when you INCREASE the energy, you are actually making the exponent "less negative." For example, if you original E made the wave function Fe^(-5) and then you increased the energy, your new wave function would look like Fe^(-1). Now you can easily check on your calculator that e^(-5) decays faster than e^(-1), hence the bigger energy will have a larger wave function outside the barrier, making it more probable.

You can also check this by explicitly calculating the transmission coefficient, which will yield the correct answer again (at least it did on this little napkin here).

Physically, things with higher energies have higher tunnelling coefficients. Imagine you are diving into a deep pool of sand (or punching thru a wall). The faster your body is moving right before you hit the sand (or the faster your fist is going right before you hit the wall) the more energy you will have and the deeper you will go into the sand (or the better your chances are to break a hole in the wall).

1. What is a finite potential well?

A finite potential well is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes a region in space where a particle is confined by a potential that is finite in size. This potential well can come in different shapes, such as a square or triangular well, and has boundaries where the potential is either zero or a constant value.

2. Why does the wave function extend in a finite potential well?

The wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, extends in a finite potential well because the particle is confined within the boundaries of the well. This confinement causes the wave function to spread out and extend in space, rather than being localized to a single point.

3. What happens to the wave function at the boundaries of a finite potential well?

At the boundaries of a finite potential well, the wave function experiences a discontinuity. This means that the wave function abruptly changes at the boundaries, which can lead to interesting phenomena such as tunneling, where the particle can pass through the potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to do so classically.

4. Can the wave function extend outside of the finite potential well?

Yes, the wave function can extend outside of the finite potential well, but its amplitude decreases exponentially as it moves further away from the well. This is due to the potential barrier that exists outside of the well, which restricts the particle from escaping completely.

5. How does the depth and width of a finite potential well affect the wave function?

The depth and width of a finite potential well have a direct impact on the wave function. A deeper well will result in a more confined wave function, while a wider well will lead to a more extended wave function. Additionally, the shape of the well can also affect the behavior of the wave function, such as the number of nodes or points where the wave function crosses zero.