Given the potential find the eigenfunction

Ashphy
Homework Statement
Given the potential find the eigenfunction
Relevant Equations
$$V(x)=\begin{cases}0; x>0\\ \infty;x<0 \end{cases}$$
Hi, this was one of the oral exam questions my teacher asked so i tried to solve it. Consider y>0 the energy spectrum here is continuous and non degenerate while for y<0 the spectrum is discrete and non degenerate because E<0.
for y>0 i thought of 2 cases
case 1 there is no wave function for x<0 because of infinite potential so the general solution must be $$\psi(x)=Ae^{ikx}+Be^{-ikx}$$ then i apply continuity of the function and continuity of the derevative to finde theat A=-B such $$\psi(x)=A(e^{ikx}-e^{-ikx})=-2iAsinkx$$ but this is not normalizable since the integral is divergent so i consider the case 2 such i have an oscillating wave function for x>0 and an exponentially decreasing function for x<0 and then i go ahead and find C (constant associated to the real exponential for x<0) and B in function of A but then again it is not normalizable. What am i doing wrong? if anyone could please tell me if there is a better approach to the problem it would be really helpful, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you haven't seen anything like this before? Non-normalizable solutions for a free particle?

no i have not, i just recently started studying potentials and as of my class notes i have written that acceptable wave eigenfunctions must be normalizable, is it not so?

Because plane-wave states are not properly normalisable we employ the trick of normalising them in a large (relative to potential range) cubic box of side L with periodic boundary conditions. We then take the limit L→∞ at the end of the calculation. Of course we no longer have a strictly continuous spectrum of eigenstates, except in the limit.
Note that this is equivalent to solving the problem of a well and letting one wall "go out to infinity". One becomes used to such chicanery because of its utility.

Ashphy said:
no i have not, i just recently started studying potentials and as of my class notes i have written that acceptable wave eigenfunctions must be normalizable, is it not so?
To be viable physical solutions, they must be normalizable. What you've found is only part of the story. To normalize such wavefunctions you have to bundle them up into a wave-packet.

That said, the non-normalizable eigenfunctions can still be useful for studying quantum behaviour - such as reflection and transmission coefficients.

You didn't do anything wrong, by the way. This should have been covered in your course.

Likes Ashphy
PeroK said:
To be viable physical solutions, they must be normalizable. What you've found is only part of the story. To normalize such wavefunctions you have to bundle them up into a wave-packet.

That said, the non-normalizable eigenfunctions can still be useful for studying quantum behaviour - such as reflection and transmission coefficients.

You didn't do anything wrong, by the way. This should have been covered in your course.
thank you for that, i may be missing notes, is there any good book where i can find more?

hutchphd said:
Because plane-wave states are not properly normalisable we employ the trick of normalising them in a large (relative to potential range) cubic box of side L with periodic boundary conditions. We then take the limit L→∞ at the end of the calculation. Of course we no longer have a strictly continuous spectrum of eigenstates, except in the limit.
Note that this is equivalent to solving the problem of a well and letting one wall "go out to infinity". One becomes used to such chicanery because of its utility.
Thank you! i would have never thought.
so in this case do i just take my solutions for the potential well,with $$ \psi=\sqrt{2/L}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) \\L\to\infty $$ doesn't it make ##\psi=0## ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Typically when you need to calculate a real world number (one that corresponds to a measurable quantity) the answer will not depend explicitly on the "size of the box" and the limit doesn't matter. We are imperfect beings.........

hutchphd said:
Typically when you need to calculate a real world number (one that corresponds to a measurable quantity) the answer will not depend explicitly on the "size of the box" and the limit doesn't matter. We are imperfect beings.........
following your tip i tried to solve it like so: Let the general solution to a finite well from 0 to L be ##\psi=Bsin(kx)+Acos(kx)## then i apply the periodic condition such $$\begin{cases}\psi(0)=\psi(L)\\ \psi '(0)=\psi '(L)\end{cases},$$ Solving the system gives $$\begin{cases}B=A\frac{1-coskL}{sinkL}\\coskL=n\pi\end{cases}$$ so i find the condition ##k=\frac{n\pi}{L};\;E=\frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2mL^2}## which seem reasonable but then if i substitute k in B and i find an indeterminate form of ##\frac{0}{0}## so i thought i'd put B=0 (i feel that's wrong) and find ##\psi=Acos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})## that gives ##\psi=A## for ##L\to\infty## which seems wrong. Is this reasonable? am i approaching it correctly?

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a function that, when operated on by a linear operator, yields a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the function remains unchanged except for a scaling factor.

2. How do you find the eigenfunction of a given potential?

To find the eigenfunction of a given potential, you need to solve the Schrödinger equation for the system. This involves applying the Hamiltonian operator to the wave function and setting it equal to the energy eigenvalue times the wave function.

3. Why is finding the eigenfunction important in quantum mechanics?

Finding the eigenfunction is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to determine the allowed energy levels of a system. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values, and the eigenfunctions correspond to the wave functions associated with these energy levels.

4. Can any function be an eigenfunction?

No, not every function can be an eigenfunction. In order for a function to be an eigenfunction, it must satisfy certain conditions imposed by the Schrödinger equation and the specific potential of the system under consideration.

5. What are some common techniques for finding eigenfunctions?

Some common techniques for finding eigenfunctions include separation of variables, Fourier analysis, and numerical methods such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. The choice of technique depends on the specific system and potential being studied.