Help with percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide if diluted?

In summary: In the first trial, you added 10 mL of water, which decreased the concentration of the hydrogen peroxide from 6% to 5%. This may have increased the rate of the reaction because less of the substrate was available to react.In the second trial, you added 10 mL of water, which decreased the concentration of the hydrogen peroxide from 6% to 4%. This did not have an effect on the rate of the reaction.In the third trial, you added 10 mL of water, which decreased the concentration of the hydrogen peroxide from 6% to 3%. This increased the rate of the reaction because more of the substrate was available to react.It appears that when you decrease the concentration of the substrate, the rate of the reaction may increase.
aisha
:frown: I did an experiment on the effect of substrate concentration on the rate of a catalase.

I was given 6% substrate concentration of hydrogen peroxide. We had to do 3 trials with different concentrations of the hydrogen peroxide but we had to dilute the peroxide ourselves in the second trial I added 10 mL of water and in the third trial I added 20 mL of water.

What I don't know is if I started with 6% and added 10 mL of water how did the adding of the water change the percent concentration of the peroxide? What is the concentration of the peroxide after 10 and 20 mL of water are added?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what was the volume of the 6% hydrygen peroxide that you added to the 10 mL and the 20 mL of water?

For percetage concentration, assume that 6% is volume of hydrogen peroxide per volume of solution. Basicly, in 100 mL of solution you have 6 mL of hydrogen peroxide.

To find the concentration after you added 10 mL or 20 mL, you have to find the volume of hydrogen peroxide that you added, which is calculated from the volume of 6% hydrogen peroxide you added to the 10 mL or 20 mL. When you have that number divid it by the total volume of the diluted hydrogen peroxide of second or third trial.

What volume of peroxide did you add?

Oops, Iansmith beat me to it.

well in the first trial I have only a 6% concentration of hydrogen peroxide-the amount of the peroxide is 75 mL.

In the second trial I have 6% concentration of hydrogen peroxide but i have diluted it with 10 mL of water. There is 65 mL of hydrogen peroxide in the test tube

In the third trial I have used 6% concentration of hydrogen peroxide but i have diluted it with 20 mL of water. There is 55 mL of hydrogen peroxide in the test tube.

Each time am i increasing the concentration of the substrate or decreasing the concentration? I think I am decreasing but I am not sure and if I am then why would this make the rate of the reaction increase?

1. What is percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide?

The percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide refers to the amount of hydrogen peroxide present in a solution, expressed as a percentage of the total solution volume.

2. How is percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide calculated?

The percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide can be calculated by dividing the amount of hydrogen peroxide (in grams or moles) by the total solution volume (in liters) and multiplying by 100.

3. Why is percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide important?

Percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide is important because it determines the strength of the solution and its effectiveness for various applications, such as disinfecting, bleaching, and chemical reactions.

4. How can I dilute hydrogen peroxide to a specific percent concentration?

To dilute hydrogen peroxide to a specific percent concentration, you can use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the desired concentration, and V2 is the final volume. Alternatively, you can use a dilution calculator or consult a laboratory handbook for specific dilution instructions.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with percent concentration of hydrogen peroxide?

Yes, hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizing agent and can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to handle it in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to follow proper storage and disposal procedures.