Getting Started with EE Project Ideas for Beginners

In summary, the person is looking for resources to practice circuit design while in their first year of college. They are not looking for anything too advanced, just some basic projects to familiarize themselves with the subject. Suggestions include purchasing a book called "The Art of Electronics" and checking out kits from Radio Shack or Frys Electronics. A website with kits is also recommended. The person is grateful for the suggestions and plans to read the book before experimenting with circuits.
thowonasweaterandgo
Hey all, quick question here. I'm doing my first year of ee at college right now, and while some of the classes I'm taking (physics etc) are helping me very much to understand some of the topics, I'm getting extremely eager to practice some circuit design (my first circuit design class won't be 'til almost a year from now!). Could anyone point me in the direction of a good website or other resource that's sort of a catalog of small electrical engineering projects? I'm not looking to master any hard concepts or build a robot that folds underwear or anything, I'd just like to familiarize myself with some of the basics. Anyone know of a good place? I figured if anyone would know of a good online source, the people in a forum for electrical engineering would. :blushing: thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, I'd suggest that you buy a copy of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It's the best basic EE book that I've come across. Very practical and an easy read, but also very accurate with lots of good info. If you read it cover-to-cover before your first circuits class, you will be very far ahead of the game.

Second, Radio Shack or Frys Electronics have pretty good kits, and here's another good source for kits:

http://www.transeltech.com/kits/kits1.html

Definitely get the book soon, though. You will get a lot more out of experimenting with circuits if you have read the sections of the book that apply first. Have fun! -Mike-

Last edited by a moderator:
wow thanks, that book looks awesome, and the kits too. this is just what I was looking for, thanks alot!

1. What is an EE project and why should I do one?

An EE project, or an engineering project, is an activity that involves the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and test a product or system. It allows you to practice your problem-solving skills, learn new concepts, and gain hands-on experience in your field of interest.

2. How do I come up with project ideas for beginners?

There are many ways to come up with project ideas. You can start by identifying a problem or challenge that interests you and brainstorming potential solutions. You can also look for inspiration from everyday life, current events, or your hobbies and interests. Additionally, you can reach out to your professors, peers, or online forums for suggestions.

3. What are some important considerations when choosing a project idea?

When choosing a project idea, it is important to consider your level of expertise, available resources, and timeframe. You should also think about the potential impact and relevance of your project, as well as your personal interests and goals. It is important to choose a project that challenges you but is also achievable.

4. How do I plan and organize my EE project?

To plan and organize your EE project, you should first define your project goals and objectives. Then, create a timeline with specific tasks and deadlines. It is also helpful to create a budget and gather all necessary materials and equipment. You should also regularly communicate with your team members (if applicable) and keep track of your progress.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing an EE project?

Some tips for successfully completing an EE project include starting early, staying organized, and seeking help when needed. It is also important to communicate effectively with your team (if applicable) and to test and troubleshoot your project along the way. Lastly, be prepared to adapt and make changes as needed, and don't be afraid to take risks and learn from mistakes.