by ranger
Tags: clocks, flip, flops, multisim
Share this thread:
ranger
Nov18-05, 03:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,684
Hey all,

I'm trying to build a circuit using flip flops that passes data in series using multisim. My problem is with the clock. I know that data isnt moved until a clock pluse comes along. My problem is that what exactly is the source of this (clock) pulse. Could it be a voltage source and a switch, opening and closing the switch causes the square wave? If not, how do I put a clock in multisim and in a real circuit?

I ask this because the schematics I've been looking at only shows the clock as square waves or coming straight from something that says "clock".

--thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Identifying long-distance threats: New 3D technology could improve CCTV images
Intelligent system that predicts when alarms might be triggered could greatly improve the management of industrial plant
3D printed nose wins design award
berkeman
Nov18-05, 03:53 PM
Mentor
P: 41,059
I'm not familiar with MultiSim, but in MicroCAP and most other SPICE based packages, you would put down a Voltage Source, and set its parameters for the clock frequency and voltage levels. Does that work for you?
ranger
Nov18-05, 04:03 PM
PF Gold
Umm...now that you mention frequency (which I had completely ignored before), I did some more searches in multisim's component database. I think I may have found something. It looks like a AC source but instead of the sine wave, it has square waves. And it also has settings for frequency and voltage. I think that may be it.

But I wiring it up, do I put one end of it to ground and the other running to CLK of the flip flops?

thanks again.

berkeman
Nov18-05, 04:18 PM
Mentor
P: 41,059
Flip Flops and clocks with multisim

Quote Quote by ranger
But I wiring it up, do I put one end of it to ground and the other running to CLK of the flip flops?
thanks again.
Yep, you've got the right idea.
ranger
Dec8-05, 09:55 PM
PF Gold
I found this

http://csserver.evansville.edu/~blan...chTutorial.pdf

Multisim uses the function generator to generate the square waves. I tried the "clock source" that I discussed above and that did not work. The function gen does the trick though.
mfk_1868
Dec9-05, 09:36 AM
P: 21
yes you need to use function generator for clock usage. I got digital circuit design course in university and we used fnc generator in labs for CLK.
nahidxy
May6-11, 06:38 AM
P: 1
Go to "Place>component>sources>digital_sources>digital_clock" from your multisim. i found it in my multisim11.... i think you got your specific answer... :)

Register to reply