by ranger
Tags: clocks, flip, flops, multisim
Share this thread:
ranger
Nov18-05, 03:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,684
Hey all,

I'm trying to build a circuit using flip flops that passes data in series using multisim. My problem is with the clock. I know that data isnt moved until a clock pluse comes along. My problem is that what exactly is the source of this (clock) pulse. Could it be a voltage source and a switch, opening and closing the switch causes the square wave? If not, how do I put a clock in multisim and in a real circuit?

I ask this because the schematics I've been looking at only shows the clock as square waves or coming straight from something that says "clock".

--thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
berkeman
Nov18-05, 03:53 PM
Mentor
P: 41,109
I'm not familiar with MultiSim, but in MicroCAP and most other SPICE based packages, you would put down a Voltage Source, and set its parameters for the clock frequency and voltage levels. Does that work for you?
ranger
Nov18-05, 04:03 PM
PF Gold
Umm...now that you mention frequency (which I had completely ignored before), I did some more searches in multisim's component database. I think I may have found something. It looks like a AC source but instead of the sine wave, it has square waves. And it also has settings for frequency and voltage. I think that may be it.

But I wiring it up, do I put one end of it to ground and the other running to CLK of the flip flops?

thanks again.

berkeman
Nov18-05, 04:18 PM
Mentor
P: 41,109
Flip Flops and clocks with multisim

Quote Quote by ranger
But I wiring it up, do I put one end of it to ground and the other running to CLK of the flip flops?
thanks again.
Yep, you've got the right idea.
ranger
Dec8-05, 09:55 PM
PF Gold
I found this

http://csserver.evansville.edu/~blan...chTutorial.pdf

Multisim uses the function generator to generate the square waves. I tried the "clock source" that I discussed above and that did not work. The function gen does the trick though.
mfk_1868
Dec9-05, 09:36 AM
P: 21
yes you need to use function generator for clock usage. I got digital circuit design course in university and we used fnc generator in labs for CLK.
nahidxy
May6-11, 06:38 AM
P: 1
Go to "Place>component>sources>digital_sources>digital_clock" from your multisim. i found it in my multisim11.... i think you got your specific answer... :)

Register to reply