Does an Rx antenna's Zout differ using near- & far- field "beacon" Tx?

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I want to do comparative experiments with different ways of coupling a wire antenna to a portable shortwave receiver, including a ##\pi##-type tuning circuit and other experiments.

It's hard to find a shortwave station that is free from fading, so I am considering using one of those programmable frequency sources like the Si5351 clock source. If I put this as far away from the antenna as possible within my apartment, will the comparative experiments give the same relative/comparative results in the receiver as an actual plane wave coming from a far field source?

(If the answer is no, I will have to put the "beacon" in my car and park it say 100 m. from my apartment building, but that wouldn't be convenient at all).

I do realize that this kind of thing is usually done using an antenna tester / vswr bridge, but I want to experiment with this method if it is a valid one theoretically.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
I am considering using one of those programmable frequency sources like the Si5351 clock source. If I put this as far away from the antenna as possible within my apartment
Please do not broadcast illegal signals like that -- the interference you cause could hamper valid emergency communications and get you in trouble. If you were in my geographic area, I'm one of the people who could track you down and knock on your door...

Such experiments belong in shielded rooms and anechoic chambers, not in free space. Or use legal signals in bands that you are licensed for, and broadcast your license number at the required intervals.

• Wow
Likes Swamp Thing
If a near field test is technically ok, then the source would be within my apartment with just a couple of centimetres of transmitting antenna. I would adjust the level so that it was just above the noise in my receiver. This would radiate much less than a milliwatt, I think?

Edit: My desktop computer probably radiates various discrete frequencies that can be picked up from across the apartment - I could use one of those as a beacon

Check what level of EM is allowed in the band you are targeting -- usually if the level is low enough it is allowed. But also be careful about the fidelity of your Tx waveform. If you have harmonics or other mixed products that can put you into other bands with different limits.

Likes Swamp Thing
The Si5351 produces a square wave so I would have to add an LPF. A DDS might not need one. I have both in my junk box.

Swamp Thing said:
I do realize that this kind of thing is usually done using an antenna tester / vswr bridge, but I want to experiment with this method if it is a valid one theoretically.
An antenna analyser only looks at the reflection of energy from your chosen antenna feed-point. It does not reveal where the forward energy is going. The antenna analyser is being used to protect your transmitter from unexpected reflected energy.

An antenna is a network or array of coupled resonators and scatterers. The impedance will depend on frequency, and how the signal energy being received enters the array. That rules out test signals in the near field, or off-axis in the far field. It also rules out real antennas near buildings, wires, railways or underground pipelines.

For wire antennas, you need an expensive HF antenna test range, or a numerical model.

I would model the antenna with available simulation software, to generate S parameters for the antenna over the frequency range of interest. I would then model the possible antenna matching networks using SPICE. My aim would be to flatten the response of the matched antenna across the band. For best results, that may require detuning the antenna before matching it to the feedline. A Smith chart, may well become your most valued friend and colleague.

• Informative
Likes Swamp Thing and berkeman
Baluncore said:
That rules out test signals in the near field, or off-axis in the far field.

💡💡💡👍I had no idea that Zout would depend on the direction as well

Swamp Thing said:
I had no idea that Zout would depend on the direction as well
In theory, reciprocity says the antenna impedance is the same in transmit and receive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_(radio)#Reciprocity

An antenna analyser measures the "bulk" impedance of the antenna beyond that point. There are many paths taken by energy in the antenna, as that energy is being coupled into space.

As you change the wavelength of a test signal to a long wire antenna, the nulls in the radiation pattern sweep in angular position.

If you judge your antenna matching network by signal power into the receiver, then you must eliminate the changing antenna pattern from the analysis. That is why you must place any reference generator in the far field, on the main axis of the beam.

Baluncore said:

As you change the wavelength of a test signal to a long wire antenna, the nulls in the radiation pattern sweep in angular position.

If you judge your antenna matching network by signal power into the receiver, then you must eliminate the changing antenna pattern from the analysis. That is why you must place any reference generator in the far field, on the main axis of the beam.

I'm not sure I understand. What if we are only comparing A and B at a single frequency, where A and B involve changes only to a lumped circuit between the antenna and the receiver? Will the relative delta_AB in signal strength be a function of the source direction -- which is what I understand from your earlier post?

------
Edit: Int the 1980s I used to own a couple of WW2 era vacuum tube receivers. (AR-88 and BC-454). They had a little capacitor connected to the input tuned circuit, labelled "ANT TRIM" or similar. One would tweak this control whenever one changed frequency by a significant amount. But now it seems it may have helped to tweak it after tuning in a station, and potentially it may have allowed one to boost one station at the expense of an interfering signal based on direction.

Last edited:
Swamp Thing said:
What if we are only comparing A and B at a single frequency, where A and B involve changes only to a lumped circuit between the antenna and the receiver? Will the relative delta_AB in signal strength be a function of the source direction
That can only happen on the rare occasion when the lump distorts the radiation pattern of a complex antenna. That can occur when there is a mismatch of the feedline, because then the feedline and receiver become part of the antenna element network.

Swamp Thing said:
But now it seems it may have helped to tweak it after tuning in a station, and potentially it may have allowed one to boost one station at the expense of an interfering signal based on direction.
Antennas change impedance with frequency. That was a reactance matching capacitor, used conceptually to peak the signal, but really used to avoid a deep null at the wanted signal frequency.

Only antenna pattern, or polarization, can be used to separate interfering signals. Usually, that must be done at the antenna, before the signal enters the feedline.

If you do your antenna matching research numerically, you will gain understanding, and turn the unpredictable black-art of impedance matching, into a science.
Get a copy of "RF Circuit Design" by Chris Bowick.

During the next lockdown, or a long winter, take a deep dive into;
https://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Files/Old_Radio_Frequency_Books.htm

Likes Swamp Thing
Swamp Thing said:
I want to do comparative experiments with different ways of coupling a wire antenna to a portable shortwave receiver, including a ##\pi##-type tuning circuit and other experiments.

It's hard to find a shortwave station that is free from fading, so I am considering using one of those programmable frequency sources like the Si5351 clock source. If I put this as far away from the antenna as possible within my apartment, will the comparative experiments give the same relative/comparative results in the receiver as an actual plane wave coming from a far field source?

(If the answer is no, I will have to put the "beacon" in my car and park it say 100 m. from my apartment building, but that wouldn't be convenient at all).

For experiments involving the method of coupling the antenna to the receiver it is possible to do this by coupling a small signal into the antenna. In principle the test signal might be coupled into the antenna in a way that generates a different current distribution, so it would be best to space the test source by, say, lambda/8 if possible and to locate it in the main lobe. It should also be satisfactory to couple a very weak signal source into the antenna wire at the feedpoint if preferred, say by using a small wire loop.

Likes Swamp Thing

1. What is the difference between near-field and far-field transmission?

The near-field and far-field regions of an antenna refer to the different zones around the antenna characterized by how the electromagnetic fields behave. The near-field is the area close to the antenna, typically within one wavelength, where the magnetic and electric fields do not behave as radiative waves but have more complex interactions. The far-field is beyond the near-field, typically more than one wavelength away, where the fields propagate as electromagnetic waves with a predictable attenuation and phase relationship.

2. Does the output impedance (Zout) of a receiver (Rx) antenna change between near-field and far-field conditions?

Yes, the output impedance of a receiver antenna can vary between near-field and far-field conditions. This is because the electromagnetic environment around the antenna affects how the antenna interacts with incoming signals. In the near-field, the coupling between the antenna and the source can be more complex due to reactive field components (capacitive or inductive), which can influence the apparent impedance seen by the receiver. In contrast, in the far-field, the impedance primarily reflects the antenna's radiation properties and is more stable and predictable.

3. How does the type of transmission (beacon or otherwise) influence the Rx antenna's Zout?

The type of transmission, whether a beacon signal or another form, can influence the Rx antenna's Zout primarily through the signal's power and frequency characteristics. Beacon signals are typically designed for easy detection and identification, often using specific frequency and modulation characteristics that can interact differently with the antenna compared to other types of transmissions. This interaction can slightly alter the perceived impedance due to differences in how the antenna processes these signals.

4. What practical implications do changes in Zout have on the performance of Rx antennas in different fields?

Changes in Zout can significantly affect the performance of receiver antennas, including their efficiency, bandwidth, and signal-to-noise ratio. In the near-field, variations in impedance can lead to poorer matching with the receiver circuitry, potentially reducing the effectiveness of signal transfer and increasing the noise level. In the far-field, a stable Zout is crucial for maintaining optimal performance over longer distances, ensuring that the antenna efficiently converts the electromagnetic waves into electrical signals.

5. How can one measure or calculate the Zout of an Rx antenna in both near-field and far-field scenarios?

To measure or calculate the Zout of an Rx antenna in both near-field and far-field scenarios, one can use various techniques such as impedance analyzers, network analyzers, or simulation software. In practical terms, measurements in the near-field might require specialized setups to account for close-proximity effects and complex field interactions, using probes and sensors that can differentiate between reactive and radiative components. For far-field measurements, standard antenna characterization methods, including S-parameter measurements in an anechoic chamber, can be used to accurately determine the antenna's impedance in its typical operating environment.