Circuit problems

by Edgar White
Tags: circuit
Edgar White
Nov28-05, 06:46 PM
P: 4
Hi,

I have this circuit (see attached file) and I'm trying to find the voltage between the two red points. I really don't know where to start.. could anyone help me out and get me started ?

Thanks alot !
- Edgar
Attached Thumbnails
circuit.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Large streams of data warn cars, banks and oil drillers
Engineering student developing traffic forecasts
dduardo
Nov28-05, 07:06 PM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
Find the currents through all the branches.
berkeman
Nov28-05, 07:10 PM
Mentor
P: 39,598
Simplify the circuit first if possible, like look at R5 and R6 and think about ways to simplify the combination of them that won't affect the voltages that you are trying to calculate.

Then just write a set of simultaneous equations that express how the currents flow through the different legs of the circuit, and solve for the two node voltages marked in red. Like, label the circuit with I1 going from the + (right) of the power supply, through the leg with R3, R4, R1. Label I2 as the current through the circuit leg through R2, R(combo), R7, R1. Then write equations for each node in the circuit, with the sum of all currents entering a node = 0. Solve away...

Edgar White
Nov28-05, 07:48 PM
Unhappy

Circuit problems

thanks for your help, but that doesn't help much, you really didn't go in depth at all. i need more information
Edgar White
Nov28-05, 07:52 PM
yea... and? need more info!
Serbian.matematika
Nov28-05, 08:28 PM
P: 64
Edgar, I did it in grade 10 in Yugoslavia some time ago and I still remember it a bit; you have to simplify it=combine those rezistors; example from 4 make 2, from 2 make 1 etc. To that you should google parallel and series circuits and you will be surprised how simple and interesting it is. Very simple. But, you have to do a bit of reading. Good luck.
ranger
Nov28-05, 09:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,686
Edgar White do you know of any DC network analysis techniques? For example using Mesh Analysis. This method involves solving a system of equations (simultaneous equations) which I'm sure you can solve right?

It seems that your problem is not knowing the methods involved in circuit analysis. I'll give you a very good link to tutorial on some DC network analysis techniques. I do encourage you to read each of the discussed techniques and apply the one that (most easily) fits this situation.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricC.../DC/DC_10.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricC...s/DC/DC_7.html
eng.Saeed
Dec28-05, 01:39 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by Edgar White
Hi,
I have this circuit (see attached file) and I'm trying to find the voltage between the two red points. I really don't know where to start.. could anyone help me out and get me started ?
Thanks alot !
- Edgar
Hi Edgar White :

to find the voltage between the red points, use Thevinin's technique; by finding first the (Rth), then I short-circuit..
eng.Saeed
Dec28-05, 01:39 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by Edgar White
Hi,
Thanks alot !
- Edgar
Hi Edgar White :
to find the voltage between the red points, use Thevinin's technique; by finding first the (Rth), then I short-circuit..

Register to reply