Why Does My Derivative of log base3 of (x^3 + 2x) Answer Differ From My Book?

In summary, the derivative of log base 3 of (x^3 + 2x) is 1/(x^2 + 2x)(3x^2 + 2). The book is correct, as the chain rule must be applied when computing the derivative of a logarithmic function.
ranger1716
Ok, I worked this derivative problem, but my book has a different answer than what I got. I'm not sure why.

I need to compute the derivative of log base3 of (x^3 + 2x)

I came out with:

1/((x^3 + 2x)ln3)

The book says that the answer is the same as mine except the numerator has a (3x^2 + 2) in it.

Why would you put the derivative of the x value of the log function in the numerator.

My book says that D log base a of x = 1/xlna

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The book is right. Don't forget the chain rule. It is true that
[tex]\frac{d\ln{x}}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
, but
[tex]\frac{d\ln{u}}{dx}=(\frac{1}{x})(\frac{du}{dx})[/tex]

Have you heard of the "chain rule"?
The derivative of log3{x^3 + 2x}[/sub] is
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2+2x}(3x^2+ 2}[/tex].

Your mistake was to proceed with the wrong inverse function

[tex]\log_{3} x^{3} + 2x [/tex]

[tex]x^{3} + 2x = 3^{y} [/tex]

From this point you had to isolate x then differentiate the function and put it to power -1, which is not efficient. Use the chain rule http://people.hofstra.edu/faculty/Stefan_Waner/RealWorld/proofs/chainruleproof.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is the derivative of log base3 of (x^3 + 2x) different from the one in my book?

The derivative of a function depends on the specific rules and methods used to calculate it. It is possible that your book used a different approach or made a mistake, resulting in a different answer.

2. Can different approaches lead to different derivatives?

Yes, there are multiple ways to calculate derivatives and they can result in different answers. However, all correct approaches should lead to the same answer.

3. Is it possible that my book's derivative is incorrect?

Yes, textbooks can contain errors. It is always a good idea to double-check and consult other sources to confirm the accuracy of a derivative.

4. Should I only rely on my book for derivatives?

No, it is always beneficial to consult different sources and use multiple methods to confirm the accuracy of a derivative.

5. How can I make sure my derivative is correct?

You can double-check your work using other methods or consulting with other sources such as online calculators or your teacher. It is also helpful to practice and understand the rules and techniques used to calculate derivatives.