Evaluate ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-|x|}\delta(x^2 +2x -3) dx##

In summary: The bounds of the new integral are ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-1-\sqrt{u+4} \delta(u) \frac{du}{2\sqrt{u+4}}} \,du = 0##.
DragonBlight
Homework Statement
evaluate ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-|x|}\delta(x^2 +2x -3) dx##
Relevant Equations
##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-a)f(x) dx = f(a)##
Hi,

Is it correct to say that the dirac delta function is equal to 0 except if the argument is 0?
Thus, ##x^2 +2x -3## must be equal to 0.

Then, we have x = 1 or -3. What does that means?

##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-|x|}\delta(x^2 +2x -3) dx = e^{-1}## and/or ##e^{-3}## ?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The delta function argument will be zero at two points. Both will contribute to the integral. You also need to consider that ##\delta(ax) = \delta(x)/|a|## with the appropriate generalisation to non-linear arguments.

I'm not sure to fully understand.
What should be the result? In a case where the argument is 0 only if x = 1, the result would have been ##e^{-1}##

DragonBlight said:
What should be the result? In a case where the argument is 0 only if x = 1, the result would have been ##e^{-1}##
No, this is incorrect. That is only true if you have something like ##\delta(x-1)##. Whether or not there are additional constants depend also on the derivative of the argument. See the Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function particularly under ”properties”.

Likes SammyS
DragonBlight said:
Then, we have x = 1 or -3. What does that means?

##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-|x|}\delta(x^2 +2x -3) dx = e^{-1}## and/or ##e^{-3}## ?
Naively, you might expect the result to be the sum of those two because the integral is essentially a sum, but it's a little more complicated.
DragonBlight said:
The one thing you know about the delta function is
$$\int f(x)\delta(x)\,dx = f(0).$$ Now consider an integral like
$$\int f(x)\delta(2x)\,dx.$$ Because of the ##2x## inside the delta function, it's not exactly in the same form as the first integral. Hence, it would be wrong to conclude the second integral is equal to ##f(0)## even though that's where the argument of the delta function is 0. If you use the substitution ##u=2x##, however, you can transform the integral into the form above so that you can evaluate it:
$$\int f(x)\delta(2x)\,dx = \int\underbrace{ \frac 12 f(u/2)}_{g(u)} \delta(u) \,du = \int g(u)\delta(u)\,du = g(0) = \frac 12 f(0).$$

So, can I replace the argument with u to find a "form" that I know for the delta function in every situation?

For example, ##u = x^2 +2x -3## and ##x = -1 \pm \sqrt{u + 4}##
Thus, I have ##e^{- 1 - \sqrt{u + 4}}## and ##\delta(u)##

So we have
##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-1-\sqrt{u+4} \delta(u) \frac{du}{2\sqrt{u+4}}}##
For ##\delta(0)##
##=e^{-3}/4##

Something like that. You should read the Wikipedia page @Orodruin linked to, particularly the part about composition with a function.

DragonBlight said:
So, can I replace the argument with u to find a "form" that I know for the delta function in every situation?

For example, ##u = x^2 +2x -3## and ##x = -1 \pm \sqrt{u + 4}##
Thus, I have ##e^{- 1 - \sqrt{u + 4}}## and ##\delta(u)##

So we have
##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-1-\sqrt{u+4} \delta(u) \frac{du}{2\sqrt{u+4}}}##
For ##\delta(0)##
##=e^{-3}/4##
You must be much more careful with your charge of variables in the integral. What are the bounds of the new integral?

1. What is the function being integrated in this integral?

The function being integrated is ##e^{-|x|}\delta(x^2 +2x -3)##.

2. What is the domain of integration for this integral?

The domain of integration is from negative infinity to positive infinity, or the entire real number line.

3. What does the delta function represent in this integral?

The delta function, ##\delta(x^2 +2x -3)##, represents a spike or impulse at the point where the expression inside the parentheses equals zero. In this case, it represents a spike at x=1 or x=-3.

4. How do you evaluate this integral?

First, you can rewrite the integral as ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-|x|}\delta(x^2 +2x -3) dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-|x|}\delta(x-1) dx + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-|x|}\delta(x+3) dx##. Then, using the property of the delta function, the integral reduces to ##e^{-|1|} = e^{-1}## and ##e^{-|-3|} = e^{3}##, giving a final answer of ##e^{-1} + e^{3}##.

5. What are the applications of this type of integral in science?

This type of integral is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving impulse or shock events. It can also be used in signal processing to analyze and filter signals with sudden changes or spikes. Additionally, it has applications in probability and statistics for calculating expected values and moments of random variables.