Register to reply

Harmonic function

by Tony11235
Tags: function, harmonic
Share this thread:
Tony11235
Dec4-05, 09:45 AM
P: 276
I am to find a function U, harmonic on the disk [tex] x^2 + y^2 < 6 [/tex] and satisfying
[tex] u(x, y) = y + y^2 [/tex] on the disk's boundary. I am not sure where to start. Hints, help, anything?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
matt grime
Dec4-05, 09:49 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
Use the integral formula.
LeonhardEuler
Dec4-05, 09:53 AM
PF Gold
P: 864
I would think Cauchy's integral formual would be useful here: you have the value of a function on a boudry and want the value in the interior.

harsh
Dec4-05, 07:00 PM
P: 76
Harmonic function

You are trying to solve the Laplace equation on a disk. Try seperation of variables, then break it down to 2 ODE's. Here is a start for you..

You will probably need to solve the PDE in polar coordinates.

- harsh
Tony11235
Dec4-05, 11:01 PM
Quote Quote by harsh
You are trying to solve the Laplace equation on a disk. Try seperation of variables, then break it down to 2 ODE's. Here is a start for you..
You will probably need to solve the PDE in polar coordinates.
- harsh
Then is [tex] u(\sqrt{6}, \theta) = \sqrt{6} \sin(\theta) + 6\sin^2(\theta) [/tex] a boundary condition?
harsh
Dec4-05, 11:08 PM
Quote Quote by Tony11235
Then is [tex] u(\sqrt{6}, \theta) = \sqrt{6} \sin(\theta) + 6\sin^2(\theta) [/tex] a boundary condition?
Looks right. Make sure you solve the correct PDE, the laplacian in r,theta is not as simple as U_rr and U_theta*theta

- harsh
Tony11235
Dec5-05, 06:59 AM
Quote Quote by harsh
Looks right. Make sure you solve the correct PDE, the laplacian in r,theta is not as simple as U_rr and U_theta*theta
- harsh
I know. In an earlier problem I had to compute the laplacian in polar. Oh and one more thing, is there anything else I need to know about [tex] \theta [/tex]? Other than [tex] 0 < \theta < 2\pi [/tex] ?
harsh
Dec5-05, 09:21 AM
The theta condition that you are going to use, I believe, will be that theta is 2pi periodic.

- harsh

Register to reply