Doubts whether my integral is right

In summary, the conversation is about a question that involves integrating a function and applying limits to get a given answer. The region R is defined and the power of y in the original integrand is determined. The use of change of coordinates is discussed and a mistake in the Jacobian is pointed out. The conversation ends with the person getting the correct answer of 15/8.
elle
Hi, can someone please quickly help me check if I've made a correct attempt at the following question. I'm having doubts whether my integral is right or not because I tried integrating it and applying the limits, but I didn't get the given answer 15/8. Can someone help? thank you!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c109/mathsnerd/84c1d9ff.jpg"

I've not included my diagram but I found to limits to be 1 < u < 2 and 1 < v < 2 .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is R? What is the power of y in the original integrand?

oops sorry I forgot to mention that part of the question.

R is the region in the first quadrant bounded by xy=1, xy=2, y=x and y=2x.
The power of y is 2 (same for x)

Why did you change variables? There exist a nice symmetry in the Region R which would make the integral easily solved after breaking the region into two.

Just looking at your Jacobian: You calculated J(u,v)/J(x,y) correctly, but unfortunately you want/need J(x,y)/J(u,v). You have int(int(f(x,y))dA. The change of coordiantes given by x=g_1(u,v) and y=g_2(u,v) is a mapping from the domain, U<R2, of f(x,y), to a new domain, V<R2. But you were given the change of coordiantes u=xy, v=y/x or u=h_1(x,y) v=h_2(x,y), which is a mapping from the domain V of f(x,y) to U. The maps are of course inverses, however in order to calculate your integral using the change of coordiantes given implicity, you must first solve for x and y to find the transformation from U to V. You did this to calculate what x^2+2y^2 was, but then you used the Jacobian for the other C.O.C. So you transformed x and y to u and v, but then used the Jacobian for the transformation from u and v to x and y. Find J(x,y)/J(u,v) and then carry out the integration.

It was a surprise to me that your substitution at the end of the determinant ameliorated any confusion whether to use J(u,v)/J(x,y) or J(x,y)/J(u,v). Sorry! Your integral is good and your limits of integration in terms of u and v are good. You must have made a mistake in calculation 'cuz I get 15/8 also.

haha sorry for confusing you! Thanks very much for the advice and yes I think I did make a mess of the integration which was why i couldn't get 15/8 but I've got it nows :biggrin: thnks again!

1. How can I tell if my integral is correct?

There are a few ways to check the accuracy of your integral. One way is to use a calculator or online integral solver to verify your answer. You can also try solving the integral using a different method to see if you get the same result. Another option is to compare your integral to known values or formulas in a textbook or online resource.

2. What if I'm unsure about the limits of integration?

If you're unsure about the limits of integration, you can try graphing the integrand and visually determining the limits. Additionally, you can check the problem or ask your teacher/professor for clarification on the given limits. If all else fails, you can try solving the integral with multiple different limits and see which one gives the most reasonable answer.

3. Is there a specific method I should use for solving integrals?

There are several methods for solving integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The best method to use will depend on the integrand and the given limits. It's a good idea to try multiple methods to see which one is most efficient and accurate for a particular integral.

4. What if I keep getting different answers for the same integral?

If you're getting different answers for the same integral, it's possible that you made a mistake in your calculations or input. Double check your work and make sure you're using the correct formula and limits. If you're still getting different answers, try using a different method or asking a classmate or teacher for help.

5. Can I use technology to solve integrals?

Yes, you can use technology such as calculators or online integral solvers to solve integrals. However, it's important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving integrals by hand. Relying too heavily on technology can hinder your understanding and ability to solve integrals on your own.