Find the bounds after changing the variables in a double integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of an integral with du before dv and the decision to compute it in the opposite order with different bounds. The conversation also includes a discussion of the correctness of the bounds and the suggested approach to evaluate and check the integral.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1616299276442.png

The answer calculates the integral with ##du## before ##dv## as shown below.
1616299342699.png

However I decided to compute it in the opposite order with different bounds. Here is my work:
According to the definitions, $$\begin{cases} u=x+y\\ v=2x-3y \end{cases}$$
First we need to convert the boundaries in xy into uv. The equation of y-axis is ##v=-3u## and the equation of x-axis is ##v=2u##. This two lines give the lower and upper limits of the inner integral dv. The bounds for u can be found by substituting ##x=0## and ##y=0## into ##2x-3y=4##. The lower bounds appears at the lower vertex of the triangle with the value of ##u=-4/3##. Similarly, the upper bounds is the right vertex at ##u=2##. After putting things together we get
$$\frac 1 5 \int _{-4/3}^{2}\int _{-3u}^{2u}v^2u^2\,dvdu$$
I'd like someone to check if the bounds in this integral are correct. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

If you did everything correctly, your integral would yield the same as what the alternative yields. I get a different result, though.

Draw some lines where ##u## is constant and check the bounds of ##v##

##\ ##

Likes Leo Liu
BvU said:
Hi,

If you did everything correctly, your integral would yield the same as what the alternative yields. I get a different result, though.

Draw some lines where ##u## is constant and check the bounds of ##v##
Thank you! I think I messed up the bounds for v.
123.jpg

The graph above shows that heights of the endpoints of the line segment spanning the height of the triangle at a fixed x value are ##v=4## and ##v=-3u## or ##v=2u##; the choice of the lower bound depends on x. Hence the double integral can be written as

$$\frac 1 5 \int _{-4/3}^{0}\int _{-3u}^{4}v^2u^2\,dvdu+\frac 1 5 \int _{0}^{2}\int _{2u}^{4}v^2u^2\,dvdu$$
Is this correct?

You can evaluate and check for yourself ...

##\ ##

• Haha
Likes Leo Liu
BvU said:
You can evaluate and check for yourself ...

##\ ##
I think I got it right. I appreciate your help.
1616364743893.png

Likes BvU
Looks ok. (didn't check it, but I see you have to do two integrals -- which is the reason the book solution prefers the other order)

What is the purpose of changing variables in a double integral?

The purpose of changing variables in a double integral is to simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate. This can also help to find the bounds of the integral in a more efficient way.

What are the steps for changing variables in a double integral?

The steps for changing variables in a double integral are as follows:
1. Identify the original variables in the integral.
2. Choose new variables to replace the original ones.
3. Express the original variables in terms of the new variables.
4. Determine the new bounds of the integral using the new variables.
5. Rewrite the integral using the new variables and bounds.
6. Evaluate the integral using the new variables and bounds.

How do I know which variables to choose when changing a double integral?

When choosing new variables to change in a double integral, it is important to consider the symmetry and simplicity of the integrand. Look for variables that will make the integral easier to evaluate and will eliminate any complex or unnecessary terms.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when changing variables in a double integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when changing variables in a double integral include:
1. Forgetting to include the Jacobian in the integral.
2. Choosing variables that do not simplify the integral.
3. Forgetting to change the bounds of the integral.
4. Mixing up the order of the variables.
5. Not checking the final result for correctness.

Can changing variables in a double integral be used for any type of integral?

Yes, changing variables can be used for any type of integral, including definite, indefinite, and improper integrals. It is a useful technique for simplifying integrals and finding their bounds in a more efficient manner.