Tricky Cartesian to Polar Change of Variables Integral

In summary, the double integral transformation is int(limits of integration are 0 to 3) int (limits of int are 0 to x) of (dy dx)/(x^2 + y^2)^(1/2) where and i need to switch it to polar coordinates and then evaluate the polar double integral. I sketched the region over which i am integrating and it isn't a circular region (which is why I guess this was assigned). I can't the limits of integration for the theta angle. The radius goes from 0 to 3, but i can't get the theta angle limits of integration. The answer is 3ln(sqrt(2) + 1)) but i don't know where i would get
JasonJo
Hmm, I can't seem to get this double integral transformation:

int(limits of integration are 0 to 3) int (limits of int are 0 to x) of (dy dx)/(x^2 + y^2)^(1/2)

and i need to switch it to polar coordinates and then evaluate the polar double integral.

i sketched the region over which i am integrating and it isn't a circular region (which is why I guess this was assigned).

but i can't the limits of integration for the theta angle. the radius goes from 0 to 3, but i can't get the theta angle limits of integration.

the answer is 3ln(sqrt(2) + 1))
i can see where the 3 comes from, but i don't know where i would get the ln term.

thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you sketched the region in the xy-plane? If you do you'll find that the radius depends on the angle (since it's not a circular region like you said). For example, r goes from 0 to 3 on the x-axis (theta=0), but it goes from 0 to sqrt(18) for if theta=Pi/4.

yeah , i had that the radius goes from 0 to sqrt(18) and that theta goes from 0 to 45*
however, after you do the change of variables, (ie, dydx = r dr d(theta))
im double integrating 1, and i get 3*sqrt(2)/2, but the real answer is 3 ln(sqrt(2) + 1))
any other hints or clues?

Last edited:
If you let r go from 0 to sqrt(18) regardless of theta, you will get a section of a disk. r is dependent upon theta.

You are right to let theta vary from 0 to Pi/4. But given an angle theta, between which values should r vary? Hint: look at picture.

The horizontal line y= 3 is [itex]r sin(\theta)= 3[/itex] or [itex]r= \frac{3}{cos(\theta)}[/itex]. The integral is
[tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_{r= 0}^{\frac{3}{cos(\theta)}}drd\theta= 3\int_{\theta= 0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{d\theta}{cos(\theta)}[/tex]

To do that integral, multiply numerator and denominator by [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] and let [itex]u= cos(\theta)[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Doh!

Thanks Guys!

1. How do I convert a Cartesian integral to polar coordinates?

To convert a Cartesian integral to polar coordinates, you can use the following formula:
∫∫f(x,y) dA = ∫∫f(r,θ)rdrdθ
Here, r represents the radius and θ represents the angle in polar coordinates. You will need to substitute x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ into the integral and also change the limits of integration accordingly.

2. When should I use a polar change of variables for an integral?

You should use a polar change of variables for an integral when the function being integrated has a circular or radial symmetry. This means that the function is easier to express in terms of polar coordinates rather than Cartesian coordinates. Using polar coordinates can also simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate.

3. What is the difference between a Cartesian and polar integral?

A Cartesian integral is an integral where the limits of integration are given in terms of x and y, and the integrand is a function of x and y. On the other hand, a polar integral is an integral where the limits of integration are given in terms of r and θ, and the integrand is a function of r and θ. The main difference between the two is the coordinate system used and the corresponding variables.

4. How do I determine the limits of integration for a polar integral?

The limits of integration for a polar integral depend on the shape of the region being integrated. To determine the limits, you can draw a diagram and identify the boundaries of the region in terms of r and θ. You may also need to use trigonometric identities to convert any curved boundaries into polar coordinates.

5. Can I use a polar change of variables for any integral?

No, you cannot use a polar change of variables for any integral. It is only applicable when the function being integrated has a circular or radial symmetry. Additionally, the region of integration should also have a circular or radial shape. If the function and/or region do not have this symmetry, using a polar change of variables may not simplify the integral.