Using computer to solve integral

In summary, Lisa is looking for help with a definite integral. Benorin suggests she look into residues to help solve the problem.
lisawoods
I have attachted a word document with the integral on. Does anyone have a suitable suggestion on how to solve this?

Attachments

• integral.doc
    60.5 KB · Views: 287
Physics news on Phys.org
Two things.
1) Put this in the homework section, PLEASE!
2) For some reason your doc won't open with AbiWord. Care to paste it here?

Why not just use [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] ?
~:smile:

Your integral is ugly enough not to be solved analytically. Since you're asked for an expression depending on "l" (and not for the antiderivative of the integrand), you could use a computer to see what it gives you.

Daniel.

Integral progress

I have actually progressed with it now. The whole point was not to use a computer to solve it but to do it by hand.

I am now stuck on this bit any ideas? oh the integral is with respect to dz

Attachments

• integral.png
    integral.png
    459 bytes · Views: 377
lisawoods said:
I have actually progressed with it now. The whole point was not to use a computer to solve it but to do it by hand.
I am now stuck on this bit any ideas? oh the integral is with respect to dz

Lisa,

It might expedite matters if you typed out your problems using LaTeX. Click on the image below to see the code that was used to generate it (won't work if you have a pop-up blocker on).

[tex]\int\frac{\cos(2z)}{1+2z}dz[/tex]

Now I have two questions for you:

1.) Is that integral supposed to be definite, or indefinite?

2.) If it is definite, then are you familiar with the theory of residues? If it is indefinite, then I think you are doomed to either look it up in a table or use mathematical software.

Integral

its a definite integral with limits from 0 to L/2 where L is greater than 0.

How would you suggest I proceed with solving it using residues

Lisa

Arrrgh...I was hoping that it went from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] because then a contour integral would be pretty straightforward, as your integrand only has one simple pole at [itex]z=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

I'll have to hit the books and review how to handle this. In the mean time, follow the lead given by benorin.

Integral

Tom, did you get to talk to your math tutors?

What is the purpose of using a computer to solve integrals?

The purpose of using a computer to solve integrals is to automate the process of finding the definite or indefinite integral of a function. This can save time and reduce the chance of human error that may occur when solving integrals by hand.

What types of integrals can be solved using a computer?

A computer can solve both definite and indefinite integrals, as well as single and multiple integrals. It can also handle a variety of functions, including polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions.

How accurate are the results obtained from using a computer to solve integrals?

The accuracy of the results depends on the precision of the computer and the algorithm used. In general, the results obtained from using a computer to solve integrals are highly accurate and can be relied upon for most applications.

Are there any limitations to using a computer to solve integrals?

While computers can solve a wide range of integrals, there are certain types of integrals that may be challenging for a computer to solve accurately. These include improper integrals, integrals with discontinuous functions, and integrals with complex variables.

Are there any software programs specifically designed for solving integrals?

Yes, there are many software programs available that are designed specifically for solving integrals. Some popular examples include Mathematica, Maple, and MATLAB. These programs use advanced algorithms and allow for customization of integration methods to provide accurate and efficient solutions.