Maximizing Efficiency: Applying Calculus to Business Models

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is considering doing a calculus project instead of taking their calc 2 final. They are looking for ideas for a project that involves finding a business that could benefit from the use of calculus. The student is open to any suggestions, but would prefer to work with basic infinite series. They also mention that many other students in the class have chosen to do the project over the final.
CactuarEnigma
So I got my calc 2 final this week, and I'm doing it in leau of doing a calculus project. In case I fail the test too hard, I'd like to see if I can get a project done before the semester ends.
The project involves going out and finding a business that could use calculus to make something better, and they don't know about it yet. Then I'd write it up and have the manager or whoever sign off on its usefulness. What I'm asking is if anyone knows a common inefficiency in any kind of business (not necessarily science or engineering related, in fact most projects aren't) that can be modeled with anything from calculus? Also, if it could be no more advanced than basic infinate series that would be great as that's all I have experience with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find another project; yours is still-born.

Umm, that is the only project. 22 out of the 29 kids in the class have decided to do the project over the final, so they all picked something. http://www.math.usf.edu/mug/structure01.htm" .
I haven't looked over the previous projects yet, and I see now that there are several completely retarded entries... I'm still bad at coming up with ideas so I'm just going to work on studying instead. Still, if I fail on Wednesday, I'll have to try and slap a project together before 9pm on Sunday, so if anyone has any suggestions please lemmie know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Maximizing Efficiency: Applying Calculus to Business Models

1. What is a good idea for a calculus project?

A good idea for a calculus project could involve real-world applications of calculus, such as optimization problems, modeling using calculus equations, or using calculus to analyze data.

2. How can I make my calculus project creative and unique?

To make your calculus project creative and unique, consider incorporating different elements such as visual aids, hands-on experiments, or creating a game or simulation to demonstrate a calculus concept.

3. What are some examples of calculus projects?

Examples of calculus projects can include studying the rate of change of a roller coaster, analyzing the trajectory of a projectile, or using calculus to design a bridge or building.

4. Do I need to have advanced math skills to complete a calculus project?

While having a strong understanding of calculus concepts is important, you do not necessarily need advanced math skills to complete a calculus project. With proper research and guidance, you can successfully complete a calculus project at any level.

5. How can I present my calculus project effectively?

To present your calculus project effectively, make sure to clearly explain the concept and any equations or calculations you used. Incorporate visuals or diagrams to enhance understanding, and practice your presentation beforehand to ensure a smooth delivery.