Am i setting up equations right? Matrices, finding nullspace

In summary, the conversation is about setting up equations correctly and finding the nullspace. The person asking the question is confused about the syntax they used and whether they are doing it correctly. The expert clarifies that there was a missing minus sign and explains that the nullspace is a set of vectors. They also provide a different answer from the professor's solution and explain that it is not simplified. The expert suggests writing it as null(A)=span{[-1/2,1,1/2]}.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone I'm confused if I'm setting these equations up right:
i have:
1 0 1
0 1 -2
0 0 0

so i said:
x + z = 0;
y - 2z = 0;
z = ? because its a whole row of 0's, so u have no info about what z could be
so i said let z = a;
x + a = 0;
y -2a = 0;
z = a;

x = a;
y = 2a;
z = a;

so let a = 1;
my nullspace is:

am i doing that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You lost a minus sign, it should be x=-a.

The nullspace is given by all solutions to this system, not a specific one. That is all vectors (-a,2a,a) make up the nullspace. You can look at a specific non-zero one if you're after a basis of the nullspace (since it has dimension one in this case).

i c, thank u! but the synatx i used is correct? -a, 2a, a correct? so if i factorted out an a i would get
a[-1,21] because my professor got a different answer: he got:

from this matrix:
which is a not simplified version of the matrix i gave above:
2 1 0
0 -1 2
0 0 0

2x + y = 0;
-y + 2z = 0;
x = -a/2;
z = a/2
y = a;

null(A) = [-1/2,1/2]
and i thought he did it wrong.

Strictly as written, null(A)=[-1/2,1,1/2] is wrong, the nullspace is not one vector, but a set of vectors (even if it's just the zero vector).

null(A)=span{[-1/2,1,1/2]} would be a way to write it.

Yep that makes sense to me, thanks shmoe

1. How do I determine if I have set up my equations correctly?

The best way to determine if you have set up your equations correctly is to double check your work and make sure all variables and coefficients are in the correct place. You can also plug in values to see if they satisfy the equations.

2. What is a matrix and how is it used in setting up equations?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables. It is used in setting up equations by organizing coefficients and variables in a systematic way so that you can easily solve for the variables.

3. How do I find the nullspace of a matrix?

The nullspace of a matrix is the set of all vectors that when multiplied by the matrix results in the zero vector. To find the nullspace, you can use Gaussian elimination or row reduction techniques to put the matrix into reduced row echelon form.

4. What does it mean if the nullspace of a matrix is empty?

If the nullspace of a matrix is empty, it means that there are no solutions to the system of equations represented by the matrix. This could mean that the system is inconsistent or that there is a mistake in the setup of the equations.

5. Can I use matrices to solve any type of equations?

Yes, matrices can be used to solve systems of linear equations and are especially useful when there are multiple variables involved. However, they may not be as effective for solving non-linear equations or equations with trigonometric or exponential functions.