Residue theory can this be right

In summary, the two incorrect answers are that Res[f,-1] = -1/2e and Res[f,1] = e/2. These are incorrect because Res[f,-1] = -1/2e and Res[f,1] = e/2 are poles of order 1 and 2, respectively. Higher order poles will mean the Laurent series has higher powers of (z-z0)^(-1) in it, and you should think about how you would calculate this residue and how it relates to this Laurent series.
tilika123
if f(z) = e^z/(z^2 - 1)

does Res[f,-1] = -1/2e
and Res[f,1] = e/2

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think those are wrong?

im just learning the theory and i did have the concept wrong until you helped me now i just want to make sure i can use it correctly. If you would like to give me a problem to solve that would be great. thanks

Have some confidence! Finding the residues at simple poles like these is no more complicated than finding a limit, which you've had lots of practice doing.

You had these two correct, hopefully your book has more practice? Here's a couple problems if you like, find the poles and calculate residues:

[tex]\frac{\sin z}{z^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sin \pi z}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{e^z}{z^2-z}[/tex]

Have you talked about poles of higher order than 1 yet?

yes we have looked at order of 1 and 2 and k. My understanding of order is if there is one zero there is one pole, 2 zeros 2 poles, if there are zeros that ore the same then the order goes up. Example 1/(z-1)^6 has one pole order of 6. we breifly discussed laurent series but not enough. we basically saw a example of it and the book we have is not real good.

Res[sinz/z^2,0] = 1 has 1 pole order 2

as for the second there could be a pole at z = 1 or z = 0 so would i calculate residues for both

3 Res[e^z/(z^2-z),1]= e
and Res[e^z/(z^2-z),0]= -1

tilika123 said:
yes we have looked at order of 1 and 2 and k. My understanding of order is if there is one zero there is one pole, 2 zeros 2 poles, if there are zeros that ore the same then the order goes up. Example 1/(z-1)^6 has one pole order of 6. we breifly discussed laurent series but not enough. we basically saw a example of it and the book we have is not real good.

That works. Higher order poles will mean the Laurent series has higher powers of (z-z0)^(-1) in it, if f(z) has a pole of order 2 at z0, then we'd have

[tex]f(z)=\frac{a_{-2}}{(z-z_0)^2}+\frac{a_{-1}}{(z-z_0)}+a_{0}+a_1 (z-z_0)+\ldots[/tex]

where [tex]a_{-2}[/tex] is non zero. Again the residue is [tex]a_{-1}[/tex]. You should think about how you would calculate this residue and how it relates to this Laurent series.

Laurent series are nothing to be afraid of, they are just power series with negative exponents, but converge in annuli instead of discs.
tilika123 said:
Res[sinz/z^2,0] = 1 has 1 pole order 2

But the numerator has a zero of order 1 at z=1, so sinz/z^2 will have a pole of order 1 only at z=0. It's a fluke that treating it as a pole of order 2 ends up with the corect residue.

tilika123 said:
as for the second there could be a pole at z = 1 or z = 0 so would i calculate residues for both

there's more! sin pi*z has a zero at every integer...but it's periodic so it's enough to do it for z=0 and z=1. Can you find these residues?

tilika123 said:
3 Res[e^z/(z^2-z),1]= e
and Res[e^z/(z^2-z),0]= -1

good!

shmoe said:
That works. Higher order poles will mean the Laurent series has higher powers of (z-z0)^(-1) in it, if f(z) has a pole of order 2 at z0, then we'd have

[tex]f(z)=\frac{a_{-2}}{(z-z_0)^2}+\frac{a_{-1}}{(z-z_0)}+a_{0}+a_1 (z-z_0)+\ldots[/tex]

where [tex]a_{-2}[/tex] is non zero. Again the residue is [tex]a_{-1}[/tex]. You should think about how you would calculate this residue and how it relates to this Laurent series.

Laurent series are nothing to be afraid of, they are just power series with negative exponents, but converge in annuli instead of discs.

But the numerator has a zero of order 1 at z=1, so sinz/z^2 will have a pole of order 1 only at z=0. It's a fluke that treating it as a pole of order 2 ends up with the corect residue.
I don't get it how does sinz have a zero at z = 1

shmoe said:
there's more! sin pi*z has a zero at every integer...but it's periodic so it's enough to do it for z=0 and z=1. Can you find these residues?

no i can't with the formulas i have there will be a zero in the denominator

when Res[1/zsin(piz),0] = lim z->0 (z-0)f(x)
=lim z -> 0 of 1/sin(0) undefined

tilika123 said:
I don't get it how does sinz have a zero at z = 1

It doesn't! And don't listen to the guy who told you it does! Sorry, I meant sin(z) has a zero at z=0, which 'cancels' with one of the zeros of the z^2 in the denominator

tilika123 said:
no i can't with the formulas i have there will be a zero in the denominator
when Res[1/zsin(piz),0] = lim z->0 (z-0)f(x)
=lim z -> 0 of 1/sin(0) undefined

You have an extra 1/z in there:

[tex]Res\left[\frac{1}{\sin \pi z},0\right]=\lim_{z\rightarrow 0}\frac{z}{\sin \pi z}=\frac{1}{\pi}\lim_{z\rightarrow 0}\frac{\pi z}{\sin \pi z}=\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex]

To find the residue at 1, you can write [tex]\sin \pi z=-\sin \pi (z-1)[/tex] and it's similar to the above.

Last edited:
i still don't get it as z approaches 0 sin piz goes to 0
How do you pull 1/pi out?

It's your old friend from first year calculus,

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin x}{x}=1[/tex]

thanks again
I have one more question for you if you have a function that has poles of say 3 and -3 order 1 and a singularity in the numerator of 0 what would happen. i guess an example would be z/(z^2-9)

Last edited:
It still has poles of order 1 at z=3 and z=-3 and a zero of order 1 at z=0. This is for your z/(z^2-9) whose numerator has a zero, not a singularity at z=0.

If you have f(z)=g(z)/h(z) and g has a zero of order m at z0 while h has a zero of order n at z0. If m-n<0, then f has a pole of order m-n at z0. If m-n>=0 and n>0 we have a removable singularity, and will end up with a zero of order m-n.

e.g. [tex]f(z)=\frac{(\sin z)^2}{z}[/tex]

then f(z) has a removable singularity at z=0, and we can define f(0)=0 to get an analytic function. f will then have a zero of order 1 at z=0.

1/f(z) will have a pole of order 1 at z=0, and poles of order 2 at all the other zeros of sin z

Last edited:
Yes but what would happen when the poles differ from the zeros in the numerator in the example i gave z/(z^2-9) in this case would m-n = 0 or can you not do that because is has poles of 3.-3 and a zero 0f 0.

Last edited:
tilika123 said:
Yes but what would happen when the poles differ from the zeros in the numerator in the example i gave z/(z^2-9) in this case would m-n = 0 or can you not do that because is has poles of 3.-3 and a zero 0f 0.

You treat each zero seperately. z=-3, 3, and 0 will all have their own values of "m" and "n" for z/(z^2-9):

at z=3, the numerator has no zero, so m=0. The denominator has a zero of order 1, so n=1 and m-n=-1, and hence a pole of order n-m=1 (I made a typo in my last post for this case, if m-n<0, the pole is of order n-m, should be clear from examples)

same thing at z=-3, get a pole of order 1

at z=0, the numerator has a zero of order 1, so m=1. the denominator has no zero, so n=0, and hence a zero of order m-n=1-0=1.

You can find a batch of residue (and other) problems of various difficulties with solutions here
http://www.exampleproblems.com/wiki/index.php/Complex_Variables#Residues

thank you for your help and time

1. What is residue theory?

Residue theory is a mathematical concept used in complex analysis to solve integrals that cannot be evaluated by traditional methods. It involves calculating the residues, or singularities, of a function within a closed contour and then using these residues to evaluate the integral.

2. Can residue theory be used in any type of integral?

Residue theory can only be used for integrals that involve rational functions, which are functions that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials. It cannot be used for integrals of transcendental functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions.

3. How do you calculate residues in residue theory?

The residues of a function can be calculated by finding the coefficients of the Laurent series expansion of the function around its singularities. Alternatively, the Cauchy residue theorem can also be used to calculate the residues of a function.

4. What are the applications of residue theory?

Residue theory has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex analysis is used. It is commonly used to solve integrals in electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and signal processing.

5. Is residue theory difficult to understand?

Residue theory can be challenging to understand at first, but with practice and a solid understanding of complex analysis, it can become easier to grasp. It is important to have a good foundation in complex numbers, integrals, and series before attempting to learn residue theory.