Find the residues of the following function + Cauchy Residue

In summary, in this conversation, the task at hand was to find the residues of a given function and then compute contour integrals for two different circles. The residues were found to be -1/10 - i/20, -1/10 + i/20, and 1/5 for poles at z = 2i, -2i, and -1, respectively. Using Cauchy's theorem, it was determined that the contour integral for the first circle (|z| = 3) was 0, as all poles lie within the contour. Similarly, for the second circle (|z| = 1/2), the poles lie outside the contour, resulting in a contour integral of 0 as
Poirot

Homework Statement

Find the residues of the function f(z), and compute the following contour integrals.
a) the anticlockwise circle, centred at z = 0, of radius three, |z| = 3
b) the anticlockwise circle, centred at z = 0, of radius 1/2, |z| = 1/2
f(z) = 1/((z2 + 4)(z + 1))
Cdz f(z)

Homework Equations

Cdz f(z) = 2πi ∑ Res(f, zi) (zi inside the contour C)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the poles and hence the residues:
z = 2i, -2i, -1
and the corresponding residues (respectively): -1/10 - i/20, -1/10 + i/20, 1/5
I'm fairly comfortable with these, however when computing the contour integrals using Cauchy's theorem I got that in a), all the poles lie in the contour and the sum of the residues = 0, so the contour integral = 0. But then with b), I found that because none of the poles lie in this circle of radius 1/2 (on the complex plane) then the contour integral also equals zero?
I think I must have done something wrong as I wouldn't expected an assignment to have 2 zero answers!

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:

Homework Statement

Find the residues of the function f(z), and compute the following contour integrals.
a) the anticlockwise circle, centred at z = 0, of radius three, |z| = 3
b) the anticlockwise circle, centred at z = 0, of radius 1/2, |z| = 1/2
f(z) = 1/((z2 + 4)(z + 1))
Cdz f(z)

Homework Equations

Cdz f(z) = 2πi ∑ Res(f, zi) (zi inside the contour C)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the poles and hence the residues:
z = 2i, -2i, -1
and the corresponding residues (respectively): -1/10 - i/20, -1/10 + i/20, 1/5
I'm fairly comfortable with these, however when computing the contour integrals using Cauchy's theorem I got that in a), all the poles lie in the contour and the sum of the residues = 0, so the contour integral = 0. But then with b), I found that because none of the poles lie in this circle of radius 1/2 (on the complex plane) then the contour integral also equals zero?
I think I must have done something wrong as I wouldn't expected an assignment to have 2 zero answers!

Thanks for any help.
I for one don't see what's wrong.
Second opinion would be appreciated, though.

Samy_A said:
I for one don't see what's wrong.
Second opinion would be appreciated, though.

Yepp! I calculated the residues for a) and also got zero and for b) we indeed have that all poles are lying outside the contour. So it should be right, shouldn't it?

1. What is the concept of residues in complex analysis?

The residue of a complex function at a particular point is the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around that point. It is used to evaluate complex integrals and find the behavior of a function at singular points.

2. How do you find the residues of a function?

To find the residues of a function, you first need to identify the singular points of the function, which are the points where the function is not analytic. Then, you can use the Cauchy residue theorem or the Laurent series expansion to find the residues at those points.

3. What is the Cauchy residue theorem?

The Cauchy residue theorem states that the integral of a function around a closed path in the complex plane is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at all the singular points inside the path. It is a powerful tool in complex analysis for evaluating complex integrals.

4. When is the Cauchy residue theorem applicable?

The Cauchy residue theorem is applicable when the function is analytic within and on a closed contour, except at isolated singularities inside the contour. The contour must also be simple, meaning it does not intersect itself, and the singularities must be isolated, meaning they do not have any other singular points nearby.

5. How are residues useful in practical applications?

Residues are useful in solving complex integrals, evaluating infinite series, and finding the behavior of a function at singular points. They are also used in other branches of mathematics, such as number theory and physics, to study the properties of functions and solve equations.