Woman survives fall from skydiving

• Thread starter lektor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall
In summary, Shayna Richardson fell from 30,000 ft and landed in a concrete parking lot after her parachutes failed. She was pregnant at the time and has since had surgery to repair her injuries.
lektor
I recently saw an article in the paper about a woman who was sky diving and was unfortunate enough to have her parachutes fail.

Information released about the situation said she fell from 30,000 FT was traving and 80km/h and landed in a concrete parking lot.

Anyone have ideas how this was possible, e.g physics behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I went looking for the story and found this:
http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_346193211.html

The story said she was also pregnant at the time!

Shayna Richardson's recovery is made all the more remarkable by the news she received when in the emergency room, doctors told her she was two weeks pregnant.

Now, 12 weeks into the pregnancy, mother and baby are both doing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
MSN even had the video from the person she was diving with!

What seems to have happened was her main chute got tangled up or something because it was on her the whole way down and she was in this insane spiral

That reminds me of a "King of the Hill" episode.. not that I watch that show.

How is it possible? What the hell was her terminal velocity? A parking lot?

I forgot why, but you have to be unconscious if you want to survive the fall. I see that she fell unconscious too.

Mk said:
I forgot why, but you have to be unconscious if you want to survive the fall. I see that she fell unconscious too.

unconciousness means your muscles are relaxed. if you tense up, you'll suffer more damage. that's also why a lot of drunk drivers don't get as serious injuries in an accident. their bodies can't react as fast and tense up, and so they sustain fewer injuries.

Last edited:
wait.. huh? Your post confuses me, Gale

Do you mean they don't react fast enough to tense up or they don't react fast enough and tense up?

they don't react fast enough to tense. if you were entirely conscious, your natural reaction would be to tense.

I saw the footage on TV, and as the commentator is saying her 'chutes didn't open, you can clearly see she did have a 'chute open. It just seemed like the cords got tangled up in a way that she descended in an uncontrolled spiral, and too fast, but it wasn't completely without a parachute. Also, survived doesn't mean uninjured. They interviewed her, and she's missing a lot of teeth. I'm sure that's just one of many injuries she sustained.

Yet another example of why it utterly baffles me that anyone would climb out of a perfectly good aeroplane. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
Also, survived doesn't mean uninjured. They interviewed her, and she's missing a lot of teeth. I'm sure that's just one of many injuries she sustained.

I remember seeing the original article saying she had about 11 surgeries and has like 17 faceplates

sigh.. if we can't count on gravity nowadays.. what else is left?? :grumpy:

Who in the hell goes skydiving while they are pregnant?

Moonbear said:
They interviewed her, and she's missing a lot of teeth. I'm sure that's just one of many injuries she sustained.
That interview was months after the fall. She didn't just lose a lot of teeth, she broke pretty much every bone in her face and a good handful of other bones.
mattmns said:
Who in the hell goes skydiving while they are pregnant?
She didn't know.

russ_watters said:
She didn't know.
Ohh ok, that is better!

russ_watters said:
That interview was months after the fall. She didn't just lose a lot of teeth, she broke pretty much every bone in her face and a good handful of other bones.
That's what I assumed. I wasn't really paying a lot of attention to the interview. I knew it was after a long recovery, and likely after a lot of reconstructive surgery.

She didn't know.
Yep, she found out at the hospital. Nobody knows when they're only 2 weeks pregnant unless they're constantly doing home pregnancy tests.

There is occasionally a person who survives hitting the ground after skydiving, but that is rare. Mostly the people involved are killed.

Those who survive receive a lot of damage and require a lot of surgery.

If a person is relaxed, the part of the body which hits the ground first absorbs a lot of the energy. The remaining portions absorb less energy.

If one is rigid, a strong shock wave propagates throught the body, and that can do a lot of damage.

Cronxeh said:
sigh.. if we can't count on gravity nowadays.. what else is left??
I agree totally, Cronxeh. About 20 years ago, a bunch of my friends started a petition to have the law of gravity repealed. I refused to sign, on the grounds that I didn't want to be enlightened.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
There is occasionally a person who survives hitting the ground after skydiving, but that is rare. Mostly the people involved are killed.
Well, I survived hitting the ground.

But then, I didn't hit very hard - my 'chute opened. :biggrin:

I've hit the ground a few times, twice in a vertical position, and once sideways, but that was only 3-4 m (10-12 ft).

In the vertical, when my feet hit the ground, it felt like a sledgehammer hit me at the base of my spine, and I felt it all the way to the top of my head. The concusion layed me out for a while.

Sideways, I got lucky and hit gradually from my right elbow and progressively down my right side. I could feel the strain on my lungs and other organs pulling way from my left side. I was able to crawl away from that one - but it was painful. It didn't help that my son, who was about 4 or 5 yrs old at the time, jumped onto my back while I was still kneeling on the ground checking for damage.

Much harder or faster, I might not be around today. I only know of few survivors from high speed impacts with the ground.

She should call the kid Ariel... get it?

How high exactly was this? I mean, everyone that jumped out of the world trade center died. So, (Obviously this appears higher) how the heck did she survive and no on one the WTC did when they jumped? They both landed on pavement.

QuantumTheory said:
How high exactly was this? I mean, everyone that jumped out of the world trade center died. So, (Obviously this appears higher) how the heck did she survive and no on one the WTC did when they jumped? They both landed on pavement.

Watch the video, her chute deployed but it just didnt fully deploy. She hit at 50mph

What happened during the skydiving incident?

A woman survived a fall from a skydiving trip after her parachute malfunctioned. She landed in a tree and suffered minor injuries.

How high was the woman when her parachute malfunctioned?

The woman was about 5,000 feet in the air when her parachute malfunctioned.

What caused the parachute malfunction?

The exact cause of the malfunction is still under investigation, but it is believed to be due to a tangled parachute or a failed deployment.

What safety measures are in place for skydiving?

Skydiving companies are required to follow strict safety protocols, including regularly inspecting and maintaining equipment, providing extensive training to divers, and monitoring weather conditions before each jump.

How common are skydiving accidents?

Skydiving is considered a relatively safe activity, with an estimated 24 fatal accidents per year in the United States out of millions of jumps. Most accidents are caused by human error or failure to follow safety procedures.