How to test for the sweetness of substance?

by real
Tags: substance, sweetness, test
real
Dec28-05, 11:51 PM
P: 20
any testing solution or other method that can test for the sweetness of some substance. I mean except using the mouth.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
MRI sensor that enables long-term monitoring of oxygen levels could aid cancer diagnosis, treatment
The anti-inflammatory factory
real
Dec30-05, 09:54 PM
any people can help on this problem?
GCT
Dec31-05, 02:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,769
it's kind of a weird suggestion, sweetness is subjective, in order to determine whether a substance is "sweet" you'll need to test it subjectively and statistically.

Ouabache
Dec31-05, 10:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,327

How to test for the sweetness of substance?

If you're measuring a solution known to have sugar in it. You can measure the sweetness using Brix refractometry. It is commonly used to measure sweetness of fruit juice and wine.
real
Jan1-06, 09:31 PM
how about measure the sweetness of the sweetener?
i doesn't contain any sugar.
Ouabache
Jan2-06, 12:52 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by real
how about measure the sweetness of the sweetener?
i doesn't contain any sugar.
GCT summed that up very well, it is subjective and requires a statistical sampling by tasters (just like grading the quality of tea after a harvest).
real
Jan2-06, 05:49 PM
then why i can find the detail that some sweeteners are about 100times sweetness of sucrose, and some is about 1000 times. how can the scientist get this kind of value?
Ouabache
Jan2-06, 10:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Measuring sweetness
There are no laboratory instruments to perform the task, no absolute or even arbitrary units of sweetness. Instead we have to rely on the human tongue and the hope that if we average the findings of large numbers of tongues we can obtain useful data. The data scientists obtain will still not be in absolute units but will be expressed relative to some arbitrary standard, usually sucrose.
The above reverence agrees with my and GCT's assesment that further measurement is purely subjective (following the underlined hyperlink).

A typical way a panel assess sweetness is to make a dilution series of the solution. (10:1, 100:1, 1000:1 etc...) At some dilution, the entire panel will no longer taste any sweetness. A relative scale is constructed based on this taste test. (similarly Scoville Units were developed to measure heat (spicey) units).

Register to reply