Equality holds in Minkowski's Inequality when

by benorin
Tags: equality, holds, inequality, minkowski
Share this thread:
benorin
Jan11-06, 07:19 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,025
I would like to determine necessary and sufficient conditions for equality to hold in Minkowski's Inequality in [itex]L^{p}(X,\mu)[/itex].

For [itex]1\leq p\leq \infty,[/itex] we have [itex]\forall f,g\in L^{p}(X,\mu)[/itex]

[tex]\left\{\int_X \left| f+g\right| ^{p} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{p}} \leq \left\{\int_X \left| f\right| ^{p} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{p}} + \left\{\int_X \left| g\right| ^{p} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{p}}[/tex]

here I wish to allow f and g to be complex. Any help would be nice.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
benorin
Jan12-06, 06:20 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,025
So I think I have all the pieces, but I lack your brain power.

Minkowski's Inequality is proved (in Rudin's text) via Holder's Inequality, namely

For [itex]\frac{1}{p}+\frac{1}{q}=1[/itex], [itex]1< p< \infty,1<q< \infty,[/itex], and let f and g be measurable functions on X with range in [itex]\left[ 0, \infty\right] [/itex]. Then

[tex]\left\{\int_X fg d\mu\right\}\leq \left\{\int_X f^{p} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{p}}\left\{\int_X g^{q} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{q}}[/tex]

To prove Minkowski's put [itex](f+g)^{p}=f(f+g)^{p-1}+g(f+g)^{p-1}[/itex] and apply Holder's inequality to each of the terms on the right, that is

[tex]\left\{\int_X f(f+g)^{p-1} d\mu\right\}\leq \left\{\int_X f^{p} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{p}}\left\{\int_X (f+g)^{(p-1)q} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{q}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\left\{\int_X g(f+g)^{p-1} d\mu\right\}\leq \left\{\int_X g^{p} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{p}}\left\{\int_X (f+g)^{(p-1)q} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{q}}[/tex]

note that (p-1)q=p and that 1/q=1-1/p then add the above inequalities to get Minkowski's inequality in the following form:

[tex]\left\{\int_X \left( f+g\right) ^{p} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{p}} \leq \left\{\int_X f^{p} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{p}} + \left\{\int_X g^{p} d\mu\right\} ^{\frac{1}{p}}[/tex]

for non-negative f and g. Equality holds in Holder's inequality if, and only if, there are constants a and b such that [itex]af^p=bg^q[/itex].

To arrive at the form of Minkowski's inequality I have posted above, note that

[tex]\left| f + g \right| \leq \left| f \right| + \left| g \right| \Rightarrow \left| f + g \right| ^{p} \leq \left( \left| f \right| + \left| g \right| \right) ^{p}[/tex]

by the triangle inequality. For complex f and g, their magnitudes |f| and |g| are non-negative and measurable if f and g are (so it is ok to generalize as such.) Based on the conditions for equality to hold in Holder's Inequality, what are the conditions for equality to hold in Minkowski's Ineqaulity for complex f and g?
fourier jr
Jan12-06, 09:17 AM
P: 948
when one function is a constant multiple of the other, ie f = ag or somethng like that

Register to reply