ThanksWhere Can I Find Software to Plot Implicit Functions?

In summary, the conversation is about finding free software to plot implicit functions such as x^2 + xy = 9. The person has searched for freeware but only found shareware demos with expiration dates. Another person recommends using Graph, which is free and user-friendly, and provides instructions on how to use it. They also point out that the given implicit equation can be rearranged to no longer be implicit. The original person thanks the other for the recommendation and confirms that the downloaded program is working well.
arunbg
Can anybody give me links to download software that can plot implicit functions like x^2 + xy =9 etc.
I have searched the net but all that i have found are shareware demos that expire after a period.I am sure there are freeware plotters of this kind but can't find any.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
arunbg said:
Can anybody give me links to download software that can plot implicit functions like x^2 + xy =9 etc.
I have searched the net but all that i have found are shareware demos that expire after a period.I am sure there are freeware plotters of this kind but can't find any.
I often use Graph to plot 2D function (implicit ones included). It's free, and pretty easy to use, I may be inclined to say that it's also user-friendly. And I just love it.
On the task bar, just click on the button x < y, then type in the relation x ^ 2 + x * y = 9, and press Enter. Pretty easy, huh? :)
-----------------
P.S: The implicit equation above can be rearranged to give:
[tex]y = \frac{9 - x ^ 2}{x} = -x + \frac{9}{x}[/tex], and it's no longer an implicit function.

Last edited:
Thanks Vietdao
I downloaded the program and its working great

What is an implicit function grapher?

An implicit function grapher is a tool used in mathematics to graph equations that cannot be easily solved for a specific variable. These equations typically involve multiple variables and may not have a clear functional form.

How does an implicit function grapher work?

An implicit function grapher uses numerical methods, such as the Newton-Raphson method or the bisection method, to approximate the points on the graph of an equation. It iteratively solves the equation for different values of the variables and plots the resulting points on a graph.

What types of equations can be graphed using an implicit function grapher?

An implicit function grapher can graph any equation that can be written in the form f(x,y) = 0, where f is a function of two or more variables. This includes equations with trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions, as well as polynomial and rational functions.

Is an implicit function grapher accurate?

An implicit function grapher provides accurate approximations of the graph of an equation, but it is not exact. The accuracy depends on the chosen numerical method, the number of iterations, and the precision of the input values. It is important to note that the graph is an approximation, not the exact solution.

What are the limitations of an implicit function grapher?

An implicit function grapher is limited by the complexity of the equation and the chosen numerical method. Equations with multiple solutions, discontinuities, or singularities may be difficult to graph accurately. Additionally, the graph may not be able to provide a complete representation of the equation, as it is only a numerical approximation.