Plotting Implicit function of 1 variable

But if you want to use MATLAB, then yes, assigning values to ##x## and using Newton's method to find the zeros would be the best approach. Recording the found zeros and reiterating would also be necessary.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am trying to plot a difficult implicit function, but for ease let's pretend that function is ##y^5\sqrt{1-x}+yx+1 = 0##. I want to plot ##Re(y)## as a function of ##x:x\in[0,2]##. I am using MATLAB. Do you think the best way to plot this is to assign ##x## a value in the domain, use Newton's method to find the zeros, record the found zeros, and reiterate?

Or do you recommend some software package? I made a post similar to this in Mathematica but no solution is available, so I've switched to MATLAB.

Computer science news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

I am trying to plot a difficult implicit function, but for ease let's pretend that function is ##y^5\sqrt{1-x}+yx+1 = 0##. I want to plot ##Re(y)## as a function of ##x:x\in[0,2]##. I am using MATLAB. Do you think the best way to plot this is to assign ##x## a value in the domain, use Newton's method to find the zeros, record the found zeros, and reiterate?

Or do you recommend some software package? I made a post similar to this in Mathematica but no solution is available, so I've switched to MATLAB.
I'd be surprised if Mathematica can't do it, since Wolfram Alpha is a cut-down version of Mathematica, and that can do it:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+y^5*sqrt(1-x)++x*y+++1+=+0

1. What is an implicit function of 1 variable?

An implicit function of 1 variable is a mathematical expression that relates two variables, where one variable is dependent on the other. Unlike explicit functions, the dependent variable is not isolated, and the equation cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable.

2. How do you plot an implicit function of 1 variable?

To plot an implicit function of 1 variable, you can use a graphing calculator or software, such as Desmos or Wolfram Alpha. Simply input the equation and the software will generate a visual representation of the function.

3. What is the difference between an explicit and implicit function?

The main difference between an explicit and implicit function is the way the dependent variable is expressed. In an explicit function, the dependent variable is isolated and can be easily solved for. In an implicit function, the dependent variable is not isolated and cannot be solved for as easily.

4. Why are implicit functions useful in science?

Implicit functions are useful in science because they allow us to model complex relationships between variables. These relationships may not be easily expressed in an explicit function, but can be understood and studied through the use of implicit functions.

5. Can implicit functions have more than one solution?

Yes, implicit functions can have more than one solution. This is because the equation is not explicitly solved for the dependent variable, so there can be multiple values that satisfy the equation. These solutions can be represented as different points on the graph of the function.