Solids of Revolution

by Mr. Snookums
Tags: revolution, solids
Mr. Snookums
Apr22-06, 05:45 PM
P: 20
Find the volume formed by rotating the area contained by y=sqrt(6x+4), the y-axis and the line y=2x about the y-axis. Set up, but do not evaluate the integral.

First I graphed it, then did the "washer" method of finding the area of the circle formed, and found that the radius is (y/2-sqrt[(y^2-4)/6]. Is this right?

I then found the height, which would be sqrt(y/2-sqrt[(y^2-4)/6], wouldn't it?

Then the answer is: the integral from 0 to 4 of pi times the radius squared, times the height times dy.

I don't have an answer key, but could someone help me with this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
nocturnal
Apr23-06, 05:26 AM
P: 113
Do you have to use the washer method? I think it would be easier to use cylindrical shells.

Quote Quote by Mr. Snookums
Find the volume formed by rotating the area contained by y=sqrt(6x+4), the y-axis and the line y=2x about the y-axis. Set up, but do not evaluate the integral.

First I graphed it, then did the "washer" method of finding the area of the circle formed, and found that the radius is (y/2-sqrt[(y^2-4)/6]. Is this right?
Wrong. First of all, if your solving [itex] y = \sqrt{6x + 4}[/itex] for x, the answer is not [itex] x = \sqrt{\frac{y^2 -4}{6}}[/itex], (where did the square root come from?)

Secondly, there is no one "radius." The volume for a washer is given by,
[tex]V = \pi[(\mbox{outer radius})^2 - (\mbox{inner radius})^2)] * (\mbox{thickness}) [/tex]
You want to find functions for the "outer radius" and the "inner radius." (Be careful, these might not be the same over your whole interval of integration)

Where do you get "height" from. The formula for the volume of a washer is
[tex]V = \pi[(\mbox{outer radius})^2 - (\mbox{inner radius})^2)] * (\mbox{thickness}) [/tex]

I think it would help if you went over some examples from your text book.
Here is an example of the washer method when rotated about the x-axis.
Go to example 5 under heading "washers" washer example
your book should have a better example (hopefully)
HallsofIvy
Apr23-06, 08:45 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879
Quote Quote by Mr. Snookums

No, it's not. The graph of y= sqrt(6x+4) does not cross the x-axis until y=sqrt(6(0)+ 4)= 2. From y= 0 to y= 2, the radius will be just x= y/2. From y=2 to y= 4, the [area] is given by [itex]\pi ((y/2)^2- (y^2-4)^2/6^2) (no squareroot as nocturnal said).

Then the answer is: the integral from 0 to 4 of pi times the radius squared, times the height times dy.

I don't have an answer key, but could someone help me with this?
The height? Did you look at the units on your formula? "Radius squared" would have units of distance^2, "times the height time dy" since "height" (I'm not sure which height you mean here) and dy both have units of distance, you "area" would have units of distance^4 !

The volume you are looking for is
[tex]\pi\int_0^2\frac{y^2}{4}dy+ \pi\int_2^4(\frac{y^2}{4}-\frac{(y^2-4)^2}{36}dy[/tex]

Register to reply