Solids of Revolution defined by inequalities

In summary, I found the centroid of the solids formed by rotating completely about the x-axis the plane regions defined by the following inequalities: (a) y^2 < 9x, y>0, x<1 (b) xy<4, y>0, 1<x<2.
Taniaz
1. Find the centroids of the solids formed by rotating completely about the x-axis the plane regions defined by the following inequalities:
(a) y^2 < 9x, y>0, x<1
(b) xy<4, y>0, 1<x<2

2. I used the equation for solids of revolution:
Integral from a to b of (x[f(x)]^2.dx) / Integral from a to b [f(x)^2].dx
3. I drew the graph and found the region enclosed as per their requirement. For a, I got the function in terms of y so y=3 sqrt (x) then I plugged it into the equation provided in 2. I took the bounds as x=0 and x=1 for the integration but I don't think this is the way to do it for inequalities.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is it about the inequality that is throwing you off? Integration does not change between ##\leq ## and ##<##. Since the measure of the boundary point is zero, it neither adds nor subtracts from your volume.

This is what I did. I just took the function as 3 sqrt of x and integrated it from x=0 to x=1

y^2=9x
so y = 3 sqrt x
Is this correct?

Attachments

• 13833247_10154326619403838_421463941_o.jpg
    13833247_10154326619403838_421463941_o.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 345
Looks good to me. The most important thing for inequalities is to make sure you have the proper bounds. having y>0 and x<1 make nice bounds for this problem.

The problem asks for the centroid, so are you expected to give your answer as an ordered pair (x,y) or triple (x,y,z)? The x coordinate is the only non-trivial one.

I think since it's being rotated around the x-axis, they only require the x-coordinate?
Primarily I was confused with the region that was bound by y <3 sqt x. I first shaded the region as in the picture but then I was confused whether it was the region that intersects with the y-axis, above the curve of y=3 sqrt x or below it.

This is what I did for part b. More confused with this one region wise.

Attachments

• 13839836_10154326735013838_158486959_o.jpg
    13839836_10154326735013838_158486959_o.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 366
Taniaz said:
I think since it's being rotated around the x-axis, they only require the x-coordinate?
Primarily I was confused with the region that was bound by y <3 sqt x. I first shaded the region as in the picture but then I was confused whether it was the region that intersects with the y-axis, above the curve of y=3 sqrt x or below it.
Remember if it is y < f(x), you are looking at the area below the curve f(x). If you have x<f(y), you are looking at the region left of the curve f(y). You did it right.
Taniaz said:
This is what I did for part b. More confused with this one region wise.
This one looks like your region was defined properly as well. But you made an error in the math. log(2)/2 is not even in the region 1<x<2.
In one step you go from:
## \int_1^2 \frac{16}{x}dx = 4\log(x) |_1^2 ## Do you see a problem with that?

Yes that's exactly why I thought I was looking at the wrong region. Let me fix it. Thank you!

So it's 2ln2 and not ln2/2 and that's about 1.39 which is between 1 and 2

Likes RUber
Good work.
As you pointed out, the x coordinate of the centroid is the only one that is interesting. Clearly for a body of revolution about the x axis, the y and z coordinates of the centroid should be 0.

Thank you for your help! :smile:

1. What is a solid of revolution defined by inequalities?

A solid of revolution defined by inequalities is a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional region about an axis, where the shape is bounded by one or more inequalities that define the boundaries of the region.

2. What are some examples of solids of revolution defined by inequalities?

Some examples include a cone, cylinder, and sphere, all of which can be defined by an inequality or set of inequalities. For example, a cone can be created by rotating a right triangle about one of its legs, where the boundaries are defined by the equations y = mx and y = 0, where m is the slope of the triangle's hypotenuse.

3. How are solids of revolution defined by inequalities different from regular solids of revolution?

A regular solid of revolution is defined by a specific function or equation, such as a circle or parabola. In contrast, a solid of revolution defined by inequalities has more flexible boundaries and can create a wider variety of shapes.

4. What is the importance of studying solids of revolution defined by inequalities?

Studying solids of revolution defined by inequalities is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. Understanding their properties and how to calculate their volume and surface area can be useful in real-world applications, such as designing structures or solving optimization problems.

5. What are some methods for finding the volume and surface area of solids of revolution defined by inequalities?

One method is to use integration to calculate the volume and surface area, by setting up an integral that represents the area of each cross section of the solid. Another method is to use the Disk or Washer Method, which involves slicing the solid into infinitely thin disks or washers and calculating their volumes. Both methods require knowledge of calculus and an understanding of the boundaries defined by the inequalities.