by Twukwuw
Tags: None
Share this thread:
Twukwuw
Apr23-06, 09:10 AM
P: 53
hi,

At what age you competed your phD?

As I have calculated, I would have completed my phD right at the age of 28, is it too LATE?

I have heard that some professors completed their phD at 23 or even 21.
terrible.. ...

Twukwuw.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Kalimaa23
Apr23-06, 09:45 AM
P: 307
Around here the average would be in 26-28 range. So don't worry.
People who get their PhD's at 21 are freaks of nature who should be shot and have their remains studied.
Twukwuw
Apr23-06, 10:58 AM
As I know, people completed their undergraduate study at 19-20 in last century.

Is it true?

Just some guy
Apr23-06, 11:56 AM
P: 76
At what age you complete your phD?

Yes, but they didn't know anything in the last century so it was much easier ;)
Pengwuino
Apr23-06, 03:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
I remember a conversation with a few of my professors and they agreed that finding someone under 30 with a phd was somewhat rare now-a-days in the field of physics
Mk
Apr23-06, 03:46 PM
P: 2,056
Quote Quote by Dimitri Terryn
People who get their PhD's at 21 are freaks of nature who should be shot and have their remains studied.
Ow! I always just thought they were smart. We gotta radical anti-PhDist here.
Evo
Apr23-06, 03:50 PM
Mentor
P: 26,426
Humanino is 26 and will have his PHD completed this year. He is an experimental physicist.
Kalimaa23
Apr23-06, 03:56 PM
P: 307
Quote Quote by Mk
Ow! I always just thought they were smart. We gotta radical anti-PhDist here.
Not really, I'm hoping to start one myself next year. It's just that those supersmart "hey let's finish 10 years of education in 4" wizkids get on my nerves

Here in Belgium the "usual" route under the new post-bologna system would look something like this

18-21 : Bachelor
21-23 : Master
23-28 : PhD
Moonbear
Apr23-06, 04:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
I was 26, but then turned 27 only 2 days later (I purposely planned my defense BEFORE my birthday so I could celebrate my birthday for the first time in 4 years ). I took a year off between college and grad school though, to figure out exactly what it was I wanted to do before committing. I still finished a bit more quickly than most because I was able to hit the ground running with a project (when your research project needs to be done between 2 and 8 AM, it really doesn't interfere at all with your class schedule, so you can fit more into a day ).
Twukwuw
Apr23-06, 06:45 PM
Quote Quote by Dimitri Terryn
Not really, I'm hoping to start one myself next year. It's just that those supersmart "hey let's finish 10 years of education in 4" wizkids get on my nerves

Here in Belgium the "usual" route under the new post-bologna system would look something like this

18-21 : Bachelor
21-23 : Master
23-28 : PhD
hi Dimitry Terryn,

here in Malaysia, usually peope start their first year undergraduate at the age of 20!
undergraduate: 20-->23
Master: 24-->25
phD: 3 --5 years

haha, I dont know why the government let people here start their undergraduate study so late... ...
anyway, I am studying my undergraduate at Singapore right now.
Cyrus
Apr23-06, 07:10 PM
P: 4,780
My friend is just finishing up his undergrad EE degree. He is going straight into Phd. He's a young guy. Hes only 20. I think he will have his phd by the time he's 25. He started college at 16.

His name is Mohammad Ali, hahahahah........that's funny.
mathwonk
Jul18-06, 10:56 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
what does it matter if there are smarter people out there? why should we resent them? this is a sign of insecurity. work on it.
Ivan Seeking
Jul18-06, 11:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Quote Quote by mathwonk
what does it matter if there are smarter people out there? why should we resent them? this is a sign of insecurity. work on it.
GE once did a long term study of their engineers and scientists. IIRC it covered about fifty years of research and engineering projects. It was found that the most successful employees were, on the average, B students.
mathwonk
Jul18-06, 11:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
I had a D average for 2 years in undergrad, flunked out, and took 12 years to complete grad school. so what? i enjoy what i do. i cant help it if i am not very smart. what matters is what i do with what i've got to work with.
Evo
Jul18-06, 11:40 PM
Mentor
P: 26,426
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
I remember a conversation with a few of my professors and they agreed that finding someone under 30 with a phd was somewhat rare now-a-days in the field of physics
A member here humanino is quite rare, a phd in experimental physics, the most difficult to get at age 25.
vanesch
Jul19-06, 12:09 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 6,236
Quote Quote by Evo
Humanino is 26 and will have his PHD completed this year. He is an experimental physicist.
In France, the PhD term is rather short: 3 years. So when you start your undergrad stuff at 18, you have your masters 5 years later (23) and hence your PhD at 26 indeed, if you do everything in a row.
vanesch
Jul19-06, 12:13 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 6,236
Quote Quote by Twukwuw
hi,

At what age you competed your phD?

As I have calculated, I would have completed my phD right at the age of 28, is it too LATE?
I completed mine when I was 29/30 (I submitted it when I was 29, but it took 6 months to find a date on which all members of the jury could unite, so I turned 30 in the mean time, and got a job). However, I completed two masters (physics and electromechanical engineering) before, so that put me in the "rather old age" class.
Danger
Jul19-06, 12:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Never, for me. As mentioned repeatedly in the past, I never finished high-school. I quite irritates me, in fact, that a good friend of mine who is a petroleum engineering professor is trying to talk me into going back to school to get a degree. Daft bastard. I'm 50 bloody years old (about 6-8 younger than him). I have a good job, of which I actually work maybe 1 or 2 hours on an 8-hour shift, and up to 3 on a 10-hour one. The rest is whatever I care to do, which is PF, 'How Stuff Works', various Googling, and more damned games than a normal human can handle. Yeah, damn it, I'd love to be an engineer. But... I never realized that until I started hanging out in PF. Before that, my love was astrophysics. It took my interactions here to point out to me that most of what I've done in my life, on my own time, was engineering. Just a very ignorant approach to it.

Register to reply