Medical physics (medical imaging) schools

by nik_to
Tags: imaging, medical, physics, schools
Share this thread:
nik_to
May26-06, 10:57 AM
P: 1
Hey people,
I'm currently finished junior, and now looking for grad schools in medbio physics (preferably medical imaging, i.e. MR, X-ray). Can anyone suggest the best schools for this to apply? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
imabug
May26-06, 12:14 PM
P: 345
The CAMPEP website has a list of accredited medical physics graduate and residency programs. There is a list of non-accredited programs over at the AAPM website.

Where you go will depend on your areas of interest, and if your focus leans more towards research or clinical, diagnostic or therapy.
volume render
Feb27-08, 06:55 AM
P: 2
There are different conferences on this topic. For example, Materialise organized
Medical Innovation Conference

bravernix
Feb27-08, 08:58 AM
P: 188
Medical physics (medical imaging) schools

Quote Quote by volume render View Post
There are different conferences on this topic. For example, Materialise organized
Medical Innovation Conference
The OP made a single post 2 years ago, I don't think he's coming back.
volume render
May14-08, 03:56 AM
P: 2
In fact, it happens. People tend to return to the places thay have once visited. F.i., every criminal returns to the place of crime. Months or years - it sometimes comes to a really long time, but, eventually, it doesn't matter.
Choppy
May14-08, 02:44 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,745
Quote Quote by nik_to View Post
Hey people,
I'm currently finished junior, and now looking for grad schools in medbio physics (preferably medical imaging, i.e. MR, X-ray). Can anyone suggest the best schools for this to apply? Thanks!
I would suggest looking at the CAMPEP-accredited schools. In order to obtain the certification the programs have to provide a set of didactic courses that will give you adequate preparation for medical physics certification exams (ABR, CCPM etc.) as well as practical experience - in addition to a research-based degree. Further, there is some talk of only allowing students from CAMPEP-accredited programs to write the professional exams (although given the demand for medical physicists right now, I'd be surprised if that were implemented in the near future).
HungryChemist
May14-08, 04:29 PM
P: 144
Quote Quote by Choppy View Post
Further, there is some talk of only allowing students from CAMPEP-accredited programs to write the professional exams (although given the demand for medical physicists right now, I'd be surprised if that were implemented in the near future).
It is not some talk. It's been determined that to be eligible to write board test therefore be certified, one must be associated with CAMPEP programs by 2012 (for grad) and by 2014 (for res).

http://www.theabr.org/Policy_Pri_CAMPEP.htm

I suspect this will indeed create more demand for board certified medical physicist when it seems we're already running short of them. But it also protects the patients from having illy prepared physicist to prepare their therapy plan.
HungryChemist
May14-08, 04:37 PM
P: 144
To OP:

If you're mainly interested in medical imaging then you have many options in terms of graduate school and its program. For example, Stanford EE program has excellent research program in MRI and CT. Or GIT has bioengineering program that does research in many different imaging modalities including MR, CT. Of course, there's UW-Madison's medical physics program, which in my personal belief, the best out there for research and development. For more clinically oriented research program, I also suggest UT MD Anderson.

Register to reply