The Road To Reality - Roger Penrose

In summary, the conversation is about a book on physics and whether it would be suitable for someone with minimal knowledge in the subject. The book is described as lengthy and filled with formulae, but the preface paints a different picture. A link is shared that provides some insight on the book, but the person is still unsure if it would be too advanced for them. It is suggested to also have a book on calculus to aid in understanding the material. However, another person advises against buying the book without a strong understanding of calculus first.
Helical
I was wondering if anyone had read this book and if it was a good book to read if you are not familiar with physics. I looked at the book at a bookstore and it seemed lengthy and filled with formulae. However the preface painted a very different picture so I was just wondering what other thought of it, please keep in mind that my knowledge of physics is minimal.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot for that link, it helps a lot but now I'm left with somewhat of a dilemma. I think that probably the FLOP's would be better for me due to my lack of mathematical knowledge. Is that a good assumption? It seems maybe that The Road to Reality might be just too advanced for someone who hasn't even taken Pre-Calc yet...But I'm not even sure if I could understand the FLOP's very well (I'm not sure if there is a great deal of math involved in those or not), anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Well, from skimming through the book (I just got it in the mail yesterday :D), you could *POSSIBLY* handle it... but you would (ofcourse) not expect to be able to evaluate residues and complex integrals without some sort of help from an outside source... (The book does start with some geometry I'm sure you're familiar with, but it starts advancing pretty quickly from there)
So a possible way for you to look into this book is to get it along with a book on calculus or something... or to research calculus topics on the internet whenever needed/possible. (When this book isn't enough)
If you do end up buying the book, good luck. ;)

If you don't yet have Precalc, forget about buying this book. It'll be a waste of money. Calculus is the language of Physics, you must learn it thoroughly before you start poking around physics. Learn calculus as early as possible.

1. What is "The Road To Reality" about?

"The Road To Reality" is a book written by renowned physicist Roger Penrose, which aims to provide a comprehensive and accessible overview of modern physics and its theories. It covers topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, cosmology, and more.

2. Who is Roger Penrose?

Roger Penrose is a British mathematician and physicist who is currently an Emeritus Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics at the Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford. He is well known for his contributions to the understanding of general relativity and black holes, and for his work in mathematical physics and consciousness.

3. Is "The Road To Reality" suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, "The Road To Reality" is written for a general audience and requires no advanced math or physics knowledge. However, it may be challenging for those without a basic understanding of these subjects.

4. How is "The Road To Reality" different from other popular science books?

"The Road To Reality" is unique in its scope and depth, covering a wide range of topics in modern physics and mathematics. It also includes exercises and problems for readers to engage with the material on a deeper level.

5. Is "The Road To Reality" still relevant today?

Yes, "The Road To Reality" was published in 2004 and has since been updated, but the fundamental concepts and theories discussed in the book are still relevant and continue to be studied and developed by scientists today.