How can I prove this from Roger Penrose's Road to Reality?

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with proving the function h(x) to be of class C∞ in the domain ℝ. They have been attempting to do all the proofs they can but have reached their limit. They ask for assistance and suggest using a Taylor series or logarithms, but are reminded that it is first necessary to prove the function is of class C^1 before attempting to prove it is C^n for all n≥1.
Etienne
Hi, I've been reading Roger Penrose's Road to Reality during my free time, and I am trying to do all the proofs I possibly can, although I am quickly reaching my limit.

Would somebody help me prove this?

h(x)=0 if x ≤ 0
h(x) = e-1/x if x > 0

Thank you in advance :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Read what you wrote and then maybe understand that there is no question in your post. Prove what ?

This is an incomplete definition of h(x). You cannot prove a definition.
You can prove that h is continuous by looking at a specific limit.

I'm so sorry, I see I only wrote the definition of the function.

It is said that the function h(x) is of class C in the domain. What I understand is that it must have an infinite number of derivatives, and that at the slope must be 0 at the origin.

However, I haven't been able to prove this and apparently neither could a friend. It is probably much easier than I think, but I haven't been able to do it.

Could I approach this with a Taylor series? Logarithms? I apologize for the anterior and thanks again.

Prove that it is ##C^1## and then use induction to prove that it is ##C^n## for all ##n\geq 1##.

Likes Etienne and BvU

1. How can I prove the Riemann Hypothesis from Roger Penrose's Road to Reality?

In his book, Penrose presents a detailed explanation of the Riemann Hypothesis and provides insights into its possible proof. However, the Riemann Hypothesis remains unsolved and no one has been able to prove it using Penrose's approach.

2. Can I use Penrose's Road to Reality to prove the existence of parallel universes?

Penrose does not explicitly discuss the existence of parallel universes in his book. While he does explore theories of multiple universes, he does not claim to have proof of their existence.

3. Is it possible to prove the existence of a multiverse using Penrose's Road to Reality?

Similar to the previous question, Penrose does not provide a concrete proof of the multiverse theory in his book. He does, however, discuss the concept and its implications in great detail.

4. How can I prove the existence of dark matter using Penrose's Road to Reality?

Penrose does not offer a direct proof of dark matter in his book, but he does discuss the evidence and theories surrounding its existence. He also explores the concept of dark matter in relation to other areas of physics and cosmology.

5. Can I use Penrose's Road to Reality to prove the existence of God or a higher power?

The book primarily focuses on scientific theories and concepts, and does not delve into religious or philosophical discussions. As such, it does not offer a proof of the existence of God or a higher power.