Number of reflections undergone by light ray between 2 plane mirrors

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of reflections a ray of light undergoes before reaching the other end of two plane mirrors, M1 and M2. The mirrors have a length of 2 meters and are 10 cm apart. According to the correct calculation, the light should undergo 34 reflections, but the answer given in the textbook is 170, which is incorrect. The person asking for help is using a textbook with numerous errors and is seeking guidance to correct them.
Amith2006
Sir,
Two plane mirrors M1 and M2 have a length of 2 meters each and are 10 cm apart. A ray of light is incident on one end of mirror M2 at an angle of 30 degrees. What is the number of reflections light undergoes before reaching the other end?
I solved it in the following way:
In each reflection the distance moved = 10 x tan(30)
= 5.77 cm
Therefore the number of reflections before it reaches
the other end = 200/5.77
= 34
But the answer given in my book is 170. Please help.

Attachments

• Opt 4.GIF
    Opt 4.GIF
    1.6 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer and method make sense to me; the book's answer does not.

Doc Al said:
Your answer and method make sense to me; the book's answer does not.

I would also agree with you here. I obtained answer identical to yours Amith (34.64...) which rounds to 34 reflections. It seems your 'textbook' is making a significant number of errors. If you don't mind me asking what text are you reading from?

Sir,
I kindly request you all to tolerate the erroneous questions of my book. There are about 150 questions in each unit out of which say about 7 to 8 questions have wrong answers. That is why I am still using it. I hope to get it corrected with your help.Thanks for your guidance.

Last edited:

1. How many reflections does a light ray undergo between two parallel plane mirrors?

The number of reflections a light ray undergoes between two parallel plane mirrors can vary depending on the angle at which the light ray enters the mirrors. However, in general, a light ray will undergo an even number of reflections between the two mirrors.

2. What factors affect the number of reflections of a light ray between two plane mirrors?

The angle of incidence and the distance between the two mirrors are the main factors that affect the number of reflections of a light ray between two plane mirrors. The larger the angle of incidence, the more reflections the light ray will undergo. Similarly, the closer the mirrors are to each other, the more reflections the light ray will undergo.

3. How does the number of reflections of a light ray change when the angle of incidence is changed?

As the angle of incidence increases, the number of reflections of a light ray between two plane mirrors also increases. This is because a larger angle of incidence means the light ray is entering the mirrors at a steeper angle, causing it to reflect more times before exiting.

4. Can the number of reflections of a light ray between two plane mirrors be odd?

No, the number of reflections of a light ray between two plane mirrors cannot be odd. This is because each time a light ray reflects off of a mirror, it changes direction and travels in the opposite direction. Therefore, in order for the light ray to exit the mirrors, it must undergo an even number of reflections.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding the number of reflections of light between two plane mirrors?

Yes, understanding the number of reflections of light between two plane mirrors is important in designing and understanding the functioning of various optical devices such as periscopes, kaleidoscopes, and telescopes. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of light in fiber optic cables, which use multiple reflections to transmit data.