Light rays reflected off vertical mirror (law of reflection)

In summary, the problem involves finding the height at which a ray of light from point A is reflected by a vertical mirror at the origin and passes through point B. The rule of reflection states that the incident angle from A is equal to the reflective angle to B. By considering the slope of the lines from A to C and from C to B, and using the coordinates of A and B, an equation can be set up to solve for the height of point C, yielding the correct answer of 6.6cm.
PhysicsMan999

Homework Statement

1. A vertical mirror is placed at the origin. A ray of light coming from A is reflected by the mirror so that it passes through B. How far from the bottom does the ray hit the mirror? The coordinates are A = (11.4, 15.9) and B = (15.9, 4.7), in centimetres.

Homework Equations

incident angle=reflected angle
tan@=tan@=h/x

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I drew my diagram, and I know that the rule of reflection means that the incident angle from A will be equal to the reflective angle to B. I'm just trying to use trig to solve it but I'm having no luck. I drew a triangle connecting A an B, with it having a hypotenuse of 12.07, solved for its other angles, and cannot seem to relate it to the mirror height.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint. Call point C where the light ray hits the mirror. Imagine lines (rays) from A to C and from C to B. How are those lines related?

They're both arriving at/leaving C at the same angle right?

PhysicsMan999 said:
They're both arriving at/leaving C at the same angle right?
Good. What other property of a line expresses the angle it makes?

Can you elaborate on that a bit? I'm not really sure what you mean..

Consider the slope of those lines.

They would be the same I believe.

PhysicsMan999 said:
They would be the same I believe.
Draw yourself a picture and see. How is slope defined?

rise/run. the C-B slope would just be the negative of A-B's slope. I've had the picture for awhile I just can't figure out how to get the right info to solve it

PhysicsMan999 said:
rise/run. the C-B slope would just be the negative of A-B's slope.
Exactly! You'll need to express that mathematically.

PhysicsMan999 said:
I've had the picture for awhile I just can't figure out how to get the right info to solve it
You are given the coordinates of A and B. Set up an equation, and you can solve for the unknown height of C.

so the equation i set up was:
15.9-c/11.4= -((c-4.7)/15.9)
This is giving me an answer that makes no sense (68.08cm)

PhysicsMan999 said:
so the equation i set up was:
15.9-c/11.4= -((c-4.7)/15.9)
Almost. You messed up the sign.

Ahhh, I see now. Thank you very much! I was trying to solve it a completely different way haha no wonder I couldn't figure it out

1. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that when a light ray hits a smooth, flat surface, the angle of incidence (the angle between the incident ray and the normal to the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle between the reflected ray and the normal).

2. How does light reflect off a vertical mirror?

When a light ray hits a vertical mirror, it will reflect off the surface at the same angle that it hits the surface. This is in accordance with the law of reflection.

3. What happens to the direction of a light ray after it reflects off a vertical mirror?

The direction of the light ray will change as it reflects off a vertical mirror. The angle of reflection will be equal to the angle of incidence.

4. Why does a vertical mirror produce a virtual image?

A vertical mirror produces a virtual image because the reflected rays appear to come from behind the mirror, creating the illusion of an image that is not actually present. This is due to the fact that the reflected rays do not actually converge at a point, but rather appear to diverge from behind the mirror.

5. Can the angle of reflection be greater than the angle of incidence?

No, according to the law of reflection, the angle of reflection must be equal to the angle of incidence. If the angle of incidence is increased, the angle of reflection will also increase by the same amount.