Understanding Divergence Graphically

• Thread starter jmcgraw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if a vector field has zero divergence at a point or is divergence free altogether. The suggested method is to mentally draw a box around the point and compare the magnitude of the arrows going in and out. However, there may be cases where the arrows change direction, so the shape of the box must be taken into consideration. This is exemplified with the function r/(||r||^3), which has a divergence of zero everywhere except the origin. The conversation concludes that the box may be any shape, as long as it is very small, and it is often useful to consider shapes that follow the vector field in some way.
jmcgraw
I'm trying to get a handle on seeing whether a vector field (in the x-y plane for simplicity) has zero divergence at a point or is divergence free altogether. I'm having some trouble with this.

The way I am thinking about it is to mentally draw a little box around my point and then see whether the arrows coming into my box are smaller than the arrows coming out of my box. If the arrows are smaller coming out, the divergence is negative because their is a net inflow. If the arrows coming out of the box are bigger than the ones coming in, the divergence is positive because of a net outflow. If the arrows coming in and out are equal, then the divergence is zero because of no net in/outflow.

Is this the correct way to look at it? My text makes me think that it is, but then when I get to divergence free fields I learn that r/(||r||^3) (where r is the position vector) has a divergence of zero everywhere except the origin where it is undefined. Yet, if I drew a box (or circle) around any point in this field, the arrows flowing in would be bigger than the arrows flowing out (magnitude varies inversely with the square of the distance), so I would guess from looking at the vector field that the field has negative divergence at that point (and at every point, in fact). But it's divergence free!

In what way am I not seeing this correctly?

As an example of how I am thinking about this, here is a problem:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/3148/3fields3pm.jpg

My answers:

(a) is positive because there is a net outflow; (b) is 0 because there is no variation in direction of flow; and (c) is negative because there is a net inflow.

Am I correct? And if so, how does this square with my question about r/(||r||^3)?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your way of picturing it is correct. For the case of r/|r|3, if you orient a (rectangular) box so the bottom faces the origin, it is true that there is more flow in the bottom than out the top, but there is also flow out the sides of the box, since the vectors change direction as you move. If you were to change the shape of the box so that there was no flow out the sides (ie, they are parellel to the vectors here), then the top would be larger by a factor of rtop2/rbottom2, so the change in the magnitude of the vectors is balanced by the change in areas, and so there is no net flow. Of course, this doesn't work at the origin. But the point is that the box may be any shape, as long as it is very small, and it is often useful to consider shapes that follow the vector field in some way.

Last edited:
Yes, I see what you are saying! Thanks!

1. What is divergence and how is it represented graphically?

Divergence is a mathematical concept that measures the rate at which a vector field is spreading or converging at a given point. It is represented graphically by a vector field plot, where each arrow indicates the direction and magnitude of the vector at a specific point.

2. How can divergence be calculated from a graph?

Divergence can be calculated by taking the partial derivatives of each component of the vector field with respect to its corresponding variable, and then summing them together. This can also be represented graphically by drawing a small closed curve around a point on the vector field and calculating the net flow across the curve.

3. What are some real-world applications of understanding divergence graphically?

Understanding divergence graphically is important in various fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and economics. It can help predict the behavior of fluids, electrical fields, and market trends. It is also used in computer graphics to simulate realistic motion of particles.

4. How does divergence affect the behavior of a vector field?

Divergence can affect the behavior of a vector field in several ways. A positive divergence indicates that the vector field is spreading out or diverging from a point, while a negative divergence indicates that it is converging towards a point. A zero divergence means that the vector field is neither spreading nor converging at that point.

5. Can a vector field have different divergences at different points?

Yes, a vector field can have different divergences at different points. Divergence is a local property, meaning it is calculated at a specific point in the vector field. Therefore, the divergence can vary at different points depending on the behavior of the vector field at that point.