Can a Vector Field in 3D and Time Have a Fourth Component in its Divergence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the divergence of a vector field in spherical coordinates. The person asking for assistance provides their attempt at a solution and asks for feedback on their work. They also mention using the divergence equation in spherical coordinates and provide an attached file. The expert summarizes the conversation by pointing out the lack of clarity in the notation used and the possibility of different conventions for spherical polar coordinates. They also mention the possibility of a fourth component appearing in the divergence of a vector field if it is a function of 3 Cartesian coordinates and time.
jem

Homework Statement

I attempted to solve the problem. I would like to know if my work/thought process or even answer is correct, and if not, what I can do to fix it.
I am given:

Calculate the divergence of the vector field :
A=0.2R^(3)∅ sin^2(θ) (R hat+θ hat+ ∅ hat)

Homework Equations

[/B]
The equation I used was the divergence of a vector field in spherical coordinates:
The file is attached:

The Attempt at a Solution

The file is attached:
My final answer is 3.60.

Attachments

• 13.PNG
    13.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 416
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
jem said:

Homework Statement

I attempted to solve the problem. I would like to know if my work/thought process or even answer is correct, and if not, what I can do to fix it.
I am given:

Calculate the divergence of the vector field :
A=0.2R^(3)∅ sin^2(θ) (R hat+θ hat+ ∅ hat)

Homework Equations

[/B]
The equation I used was the divergence of a vector field in spherical coordinates:
The file is attached:

The Attempt at a Solution

The file is attached:
My final answer is 3.60.

What does your notation mean? What is ##\hat{R}##. What is the difference between ##\theta## and ##\hat{\theta}##, and between ##\phi## and ##\hat{\phi}##? I can guess, but why should I need to, and maybe my guess is wrong. Finally, which of the two common forms of spherical polar coordinates are you using? Some sources use ##\theta## as the polar angle (latitude) and ##\phi## as longitude, while others choose the exact opposite convention. Both appear in this Forum from time to time.

Hi. When a vector field is a function of the 3 Cartesian coordinates and time, for example in the case of an electromagnetic wave in a vacuum, can it happen that a divergence of 4 components appears, with the fourth component of the type
[tex]\dfrac{1}{C} \ \dfrac{\partial A}{\partial t}[/tex]
(A symbolizes some field of the wave)

What is the divergence of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a given point. It represents the tendency of vectors at a particular point to either converge or diverge.

How is the divergence of a vector field calculated?

The divergence of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator (∇). This results in a scalar value representing the magnitude of the flow at a given point.

What does a positive or negative divergence value indicate?

A positive divergence value indicates that the vectors at a given point are diverging, meaning they are moving away from each other. A negative divergence value indicates that the vectors are converging, meaning they are moving towards each other.

What is the physical significance of the divergence of a vector field?

The physical significance of the divergence of a vector field is that it represents the net flow of a fluid or other quantity through a given point. It is also related to the presence of sources and sinks in the vector field.

How is the divergence of a vector field used in real-world applications?

In physics and engineering, the divergence of a vector field is used to study the behavior of fluids, such as air flow in aerodynamics or water flow in hydrodynamics. It is also used in electromagnetism to analyze the flow of electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, it is used in computer graphics to create realistic fluid simulations.