Register to reply

How are these books?

by kaos
Tags: books
Share this thread:
kaos
Jun30-06, 05:39 PM
P: 88
Has anyone read Richard Dawkins Blind Watchmaker?? Is it good?? And What about Jared Diamond's Guns Germs and Steel?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
Doc Al
Jun30-06, 05:52 PM
Mentor
P: 41,568
The Blind Watchmaker is an outstanding book. My highest recommendation.
Smurf
Jun30-06, 05:56 PM
P: 2,891
I've heard good things about Guns Germs and Steel from everyone I know who's read it. It's one of the text books used in some Anthropology courses in my university. However, some criticize Diamond for putting too much emphasise on the subject of his book.

kaos
Jun30-06, 06:16 PM
How are these books?

Quote Quote by Smurf
I've heard good things about Guns Germs and Steel from everyone I know who's read it. It's one of the text books used in some Anthropology courses in my university. However, some criticize Diamond for putting too much emphasise on the subject of his book.
Err what do you mean by too much emphasis?
brewnog
Jun30-06, 06:38 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Guns Germs and Steel is excellent, well worth a skim!
fourier jr
Jun30-06, 08:34 PM
P: 948
i haven't read guns, germs & steel but i have read that jared diamond is a bit of a euro-centrist. i saw a thing on the discovery channel about the book & right away noticed that the technological & scientific acheivements of the chinese, for example were more or less ignored. i wasn't very impressed with that guy based on what i saw on the show & haven't been very interested in reading the book (although i probably should if i want to be better informed )
honestrosewater
Jul1-06, 07:38 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,330
I liked The Blind Watchmaker too. It was probably the funniest and most entertaining of his books that I've read.
kaos
Jul2-06, 05:06 PM
Anyway i got both (second hand from a friend) and started on Guns,germs and Steel. Very good IMO and cant stop reading.

Register to reply