Reading list for a newbie (physics)

In summary, the person is asking for recommendations on where to start reading about astrophysics or theoretical physics. They mention not having a strong science education due to growing up in a religious household, but have been trying to catch up by reading books by Richard Dawkins. They are now looking for other suggestions and the other person suggests "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.
Dillon_Thundet
Hey I was wondering if anyone had an idea of where I should start reading to learn a little about astrophysics or theoretical physics (or anywhere else you think I should start if that seems too challenging to start with). I don't consider myself to be very educated, I grew up in a devoutly religious home, so we just didn't learn much about science, but I have been trying to catch up now in my early 20s. I've been reading some of Richard Dawkins books and would like something else to read. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What should be included in a reading list for a newbie in physics?

A reading list for a newbie in physics should include a mix of introductory textbooks, popular science books, and online resources. Some recommended books include "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare can also provide valuable information.

2. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

One way to improve understanding of complex physics concepts is to practice problem-solving. This can include working through example problems in textbooks, or attempting to solve problems on your own. Additionally, seeking out explanations from multiple sources, such as online videos or study groups, can help clarify difficult concepts.

3. Are there any specific areas of physics that are important for a newbie to focus on?

As a newbie, it is important to have a general understanding of the different branches of physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. However, it is also recommended to focus on a specific area of interest in order to gain a deeper understanding and make connections between different concepts.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement my reading list?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement your reading list. Some popular options include Khan Academy, which offers free video lectures and practice exercises, and the MIT OpenCourseWare, which provides free online courses and lecture notes from MIT professors.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning about physics?

Staying motivated while learning about physics can be challenging, but setting specific goals and breaking up your reading into manageable chunks can help. Additionally, finding a study group or joining online forums can provide a sense of community and support. It is also important to take breaks and engage in other activities to avoid burnout.