Recording video through USB

by peejake
Tags: recording, video
peejake
Jul2-06, 06:21 PM
P: 69
hey guys,

Is it possible to record video from a video camera through USB getting in the sound as well...And if yes where can i get some free software from??

Thanks
Jake
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
robphy
Jul3-06, 10:51 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,108
Is your "video camera throught USB" a webcam? If so, then the company software should have something.

If your "video camera" is uses RCA or S-video connectors, you'll need a USB capture device.... e.g. http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

Depending on the specifics of your hardware (e.g. if your webcam does not have its own built-in microphone), you may have to connect a microphone to your sound card... and then have it selected during a video capture.

VirtualDub should be able to capture video and audio...then process it.
AMCap is a simpler video capture application.

Google them... and google the make and model number of your specific hardware.
peejake
Jul3-06, 07:50 PM
Quote Quote by robphy
Is your "video camera throught USB" a webcam? If so, then the company software should have something.

If your "video camera" is uses RCA or S-video connectors, you'll need a USB capture device.... e.g. http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

Depending on the specifics of your hardware (e.g. if your webcam does not have its own built-in microphone), you may have to connect a microphone to your sound card... and then have it selected during a video capture.

VirtualDub should be able to capture video and audio...then process it.
AMCap is a simpler video capture application.

Google them... and google the make and model number of your specific hardware.
Hey Robphy,
Thanks for replying.....My camera is a sony DCR-HC30E PAL....its basically a camcorder that can be used like a webcam as well.......My camera has a built in microphone which can record 16 bit audio which i think is good enough for me right now...The problem is i have downloaded and tried the usb stream with one of the programs i discovered the other day and when i do this all i can see on the preview screen is a blue background and nothing else....This is when i have connected it through USB and set the camcorder to USB stream..Shoudn't i be able to record through USB stream directly to my hard-disk?? And why does the blue screen come without anything else??

Thanks

peejake
Jul4-06, 06:43 PM

Recording video through USB

Robphy,

Thanks for your help mate i got it working yesterday after some experimenting....

Register to reply