Recording video through USB

by peejake
Tags: recording, video
Share this thread:
peejake
Jul2-06, 06:21 PM
P: 69
hey guys,

Is it possible to record video from a video camera through USB getting in the sound as well...And if yes where can i get some free software from??

Thanks
Jake
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
robphy
Jul3-06, 10:51 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,130
Is your "video camera throught USB" a webcam? If so, then the company software should have something.

If your "video camera" is uses RCA or S-video connectors, you'll need a USB capture device.... e.g. http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

Depending on the specifics of your hardware (e.g. if your webcam does not have its own built-in microphone), you may have to connect a microphone to your sound card... and then have it selected during a video capture.

VirtualDub should be able to capture video and audio...then process it.
AMCap is a simpler video capture application.

Google them... and google the make and model number of your specific hardware.
peejake
Jul3-06, 07:50 PM
Quote Quote by robphy
Is your "video camera throught USB" a webcam? If so, then the company software should have something.

If your "video camera" is uses RCA or S-video connectors, you'll need a USB capture device.... e.g. http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

Depending on the specifics of your hardware (e.g. if your webcam does not have its own built-in microphone), you may have to connect a microphone to your sound card... and then have it selected during a video capture.

VirtualDub should be able to capture video and audio...then process it.
AMCap is a simpler video capture application.

Google them... and google the make and model number of your specific hardware.
Hey Robphy,
Thanks for replying.....My camera is a sony DCR-HC30E PAL....its basically a camcorder that can be used like a webcam as well.......My camera has a built in microphone which can record 16 bit audio which i think is good enough for me right now...The problem is i have downloaded and tried the usb stream with one of the programs i discovered the other day and when i do this all i can see on the preview screen is a blue background and nothing else....This is when i have connected it through USB and set the camcorder to USB stream..Shoudn't i be able to record through USB stream directly to my hard-disk?? And why does the blue screen come without anything else??

Thanks

peejake
Jul4-06, 06:43 PM
Recording video through USB

Robphy,

Thanks for your help mate i got it working yesterday after some experimenting....

Register to reply