Exploring the Link Between Absolute Zero and Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and its relationship to movement and absolute zero. Some argue that time is dependent on movement, while others believe that time continues to pass even when there is no movement. The idea that time can be manipulated or stopped is also brought up. However, it is noted that absolute zero is not reachable, making it difficult to fully understand its effects on time. There is also mention of finding a mathematical proof for the connection between time, energy, and events.
JSK333
Hello,

I think of time simply as movement or distance traveled. No movement = no time.

Going with such a concept, could the inability to reach absolute zero explain our inability to manipulate time?

If at absolute zero, movement ceases, then time would also cease for that area.

What are your thoughts on this connection?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know of no physical principles which say that time is dependent upon movement. We know that if something moves time must be passing, but that does not mean that if something does not move time does not pass.

Originally posted by Integral
I know of no physical principles which say that time is dependent upon movement. We know that if something moves time must be passing, but that does not mean that if something does not move time does not pass.

If nothing moves, including electrons, protons, neutrons, then nothing changes--no aging, no degradation, etc. When nothing changes we have no awareness of timing passing.

At absolute zero, nothing moves/changes, correct? All activity stops.

What do others think about this connection?

Originally posted by JSK333
What do others think about this connection?
As Integral said, there is no connection between movement and time. You are free to choose your coordinate system such that some object is at rest in it. In other words, you're always free to consider any object you wish to be absolutely at rest. Time, however, still marches on.

- Warren

Likes NRa
I tend to dissagree. When we speak of time dilation, we mean the slowing of movement, provided that slowing is homogenous. If all movement ceases completely, then it can be said that time has infinitely dilated, or "stopped".

Or if one takes the thermodynamacist's definition of time, it is considered the increase of entropy. But again, if all movement ceases, entropy can no longer increase, so time must still be seen as "stopped".

Originally posted by LURCH
I tend to dissagree. When we speak of time dilation, we mean the slowing of movement, provided that slowing is homogenous.
The definition of time dilation makes no reference to movement at all.

The bottom line is this: I have a baseball. I can define a frame of reference such that in it the baseball is at rest. I will assign the baseball the spatial coordinates (0, 0, 0). The time coordinate is unaffected by my choice of spatial coordinates.

The definition of 'rest' is a relativistic one, and requires the defintion of an observer. The baseball may be at rest with respect to me, and not be at rest with respect to you. Does that mean that time stops for the object, or not? You're sitting in a chair right now. Your butt and the chair are at rest. Do your butt and chair experience no time?

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
The definition of time dilation makes no reference to movement at all.

The bottom line is this: I have a baseball. I can define a frame of reference such that in it the baseball is at rest. I will assign the baseball the spatial coordinates (0, 0, 0). The time coordinate is unaffected by my choice of spatial coordinates.

The definition of 'rest' is a relativistic one, and requires the defintion of an observer. The baseball may be at rest with respect to me, and not be at rest with respect to you. Does that mean that time stops for the object, or not? You're sitting in a chair right now. Your butt and the chair are at rest. Do your butt and chair experience no time?

- Warren

You aren't thinking it through as much as I have.

A chair is not a fundamental particle. It is made up of particles that are moving. Even if the "chair" is not moving, what makes it up is.

If each one was stopped, it would be at absolute zero, and there would be no movement. It would not age/degrade, because nothing is happening; i.e., no time.

Do you see what I mean now? Even what we think of being "at rest" is not truly at rest, because of its more fundamental makeup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by JSK333
You aren't thinking it through as much as I have.
On the contrary, I've probably thought about it much more than you.

It doesn't matter whether the particle is fundamental or composite. You can just as well declare a frame of reference within which your favorite subatomic particle is at rest (or, at least, the peak of its wavefunction is).

Besides, it's a completely moot point. Absolute zero is not reachable, so it doesn't really matter what would or would not happen there -- it's not definable. I'm tempted to put this thread in Theory Development at this point.

- Warren

Besides, it's a completely moot point. Absolute zero is not reachable, so it doesn't really matter what would or would not happen there -- it's not definable. I'm tempted to put this thread in Theory Development at this point.

- Warren

This is the main reason why I posted this, as I mentioned in the first post.

Since we are not able to reach AZ, could this also be why no one has been able to achieve time travel and/or a complete stasis field?

Question: why is AZ not reachable?

Time travel? Statis field? Off it goes.

- Warren

Time travel? Statis field? Off it goes.

- Warren

I mentioned manipulation of time in my first post.

Sorry if I chose the wrong forum. I thought Absolute Zero as the main subject would put it here.

Dynamics do not cease at absolute zero. For instance, spin-1/2 particles are in a nonzero minimum energy state there.

the definition of time

Jsk33, your thoughts are very close to mine, but you should start to find a mathematical prove that time is dependent from energy and events.

I think this topic has to do with theory of groups and symmetry operations. For example, for the molecules in difusive movement, there´s no distinction between past and future. In my opinion, the only thing that can break this symmetry are referential events (so they could be used as a clock).

In absolute zero, there´s and even stronger simmetry. All operations are simmetrycal. You can´t say if time is moving or if it is stoped. The arrow of time disappear and time becomes an arbitrary variable.

Question: is entropy necessary for time to exist?

It's true that in a referencesystem that's warm...
time passes slower...

and in a refferencesystem that's cold time passes faster.

but Dxobject within the referencesystem is 0 when T=O

But T is never 0 because of Heisenbergs relation.

And

Dx2passing + Dx2object is always c2t2.

So you are saying that if the average particle velocity v=(kT/m)1/2 (by Boltzmann) due to temperature is reduced, so is the passage of time? No wonder food keeps better in the refrigerator!

Remember though, that time is observer-dependent, so I guess if both the observer and object systems were composed of spin-zero particles at absolute zero, time might stop. Brrrrrr!

Dynamics do not cease at absolute zero. For instance, spin-1/2 particles are in a nonzero minimum energy state there.

(By definition, observer-object interaction must actually involve both bosons and fermions.)

Originally posted by Loren Booda

DELTA = V

Let's say you made a neutrino stopp moving.

First off all, you would need to stopp it from moving h/(m4(pi)Vx) meters per second IN EVERY INSTANCE. The acceleration you would need to slow it down to let's say 0.5 m/s would make it grow more than 10 times it's own weight.

Related to Exploring the Link Between Absolute Zero and Time

1. What is absolute zero and how is it related to time?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature that can be reached, at which point all molecular motion ceases. It is directly related to time because time is often measured in relation to changes in temperature, and at absolute zero, there is no change in temperature or movement of particles.

2. Is it possible to reach absolute zero and if so, how?

Technically, it is not possible to reach absolute zero as it would require removing all thermal energy from a substance, which is impossible. However, scientists have been able to cool substances to extremely low temperatures, only a fraction of a degree above absolute zero, using specialized equipment and techniques such as laser cooling and magnetic cooling.

3. What is the significance of absolute zero in understanding time?

Absolute zero is significant in understanding time because it serves as a reference point for the measurement of temperature, which is often used to measure changes in time. It also has implications for the behavior of matter and the laws of thermodynamics, which play a crucial role in our understanding of the passage of time.

4. Does time behave differently at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, time behaves the same as it does at any other temperature. However, the behavior of matter and particles at this temperature may have an impact on our perception of time. Some theories suggest that time may slow down at extremely low temperatures, but this is still a topic of debate among scientists.

5. How does the study of absolute zero and time impact our daily lives?

The study of absolute zero and its relationship to time may not have a direct impact on our daily lives, but it has significant implications for fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Understanding the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures can lead to new technologies and advancements in various industries. It also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.