I stepped on a long, dirty and rusty nail...

by heartless
Tags: dirty, nail, rusty, stepped
heartless
Jul14-06, 06:35 PM
P: 214
Hey peops,
Today I stepped on a nail at work, and I skewered my foot. I felt it inside. I could continue to work, walk and the like despite the pain, but right now the pain has increased exponentially, and I can baraly walk, or rather scarcely-barely walk. I hydrogen peroxided the wound however the thing is that it doesn't hurt me at all, what really hurts me are two smallest toes, and I feel like I broke them, and after all I've broken my bones several times and I know the pain, and it feels like that. I don't know what to do. Family says that it'll pass away 'til monday, however I don't think so. I need it to stop for Monday, because I want to continue to work, because as the guy said, if I keep on good work, I'll be allowed to work with boilers, you know - doing pipes and operating some strange machines. I can't afford them because those machines are quite expensive, and I need experience with them for sake of satisfaction. So guys and girls, do you have any ideas what to do with the pain, how to cure, and be well on monday?
Great thanks for any kind of help and replies!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Mattara
Jul14-06, 06:41 PM
P: 398
Quote Quote by heartless
Hey peops,
Today I stepped on a nail at work, and I skewered my foot. I felt it inside. I could continue to work, walk and the like despite the pain, but right now the pain has increased exponentially, and I can baraly walk, or rather scarcely-barely walk. I hydrogen peroxided the wound however the thing is that it doesn't hurt me at all, what really hurts me are two smallest toes, and I feel like I broke them, and after all I've broken my bones several times and I know the pain, and it feels like that. I don't know what to do. Family says that it'll pass away 'til monday, however I don't think so. I need it to stop for Monday, because I want to continue to work, because as the guy said, if I keep on good work, I'll be allowed to work with boilers, you know - doing pipes and operating some strange machines. I can't afford them because those machines are quite expensive, and I need experience with them for sake of satisfaction. So guys and girls, do you have any ideas what to do with the pain, how to cure, and be well on monday?
Great thanks for any kind of help and replies!
Ignore what everyone besides myself are telling you. Go see a doctor. NOW.

One of my friends stepped on a pitch fork. It wasn't a pretty sight.
Kurdt
Jul14-06, 06:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
I'm no biology expert but I think perhaps you have damaged the tendons to your smaller toes. the best thing to do is go to the doctor because you'll at least need a tetanus booster shot and they'll be better ale to treat your foot. If you're worried this will affect your income I say whats more important? Your income or your health.

Anyways hope it heals soon.

Rach3
Jul14-06, 06:46 PM
P: 318

I stepped on a long, dirty and rusty nail...

Go to a doctor, obviously. You're vulnerable to all sorts of infections, not to mention tetanus, which can be fatal.

...not to scare you or anything, you just need a vaccine booster and you'll be fine.
berkeman
Jul14-06, 06:48 PM
Mentor
P: 39,615
Doc, x-ray, tetanus booster shot, take doc's advice from there. Kind of a no-brainer, wouldn't you think?
Evo
Jul14-06, 06:50 PM
Mentor
P: 25,928
First a tetanus shot, but you could have some nerve damage, an infection could set in which could become gangrenous, you could lose your foot.

GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Rach3
Jul14-06, 06:52 PM
Go to a doctor! The consensus here is overwhelming.
arildno
Jul14-06, 06:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Why are you still online??
For your life, get yourself to the hospital, or call 911 or something.
Rach3
Jul14-06, 06:58 PM
Calling 911 is excessive. Go to the ER of course, but don't burden the ambulance system if you don't need it. Also bring some light reading, as there is often waiting.
Pengwuino
Jul14-06, 07:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
You wouldn't put a bandaid over a knife stab-wound so why aren't you at the doctor right now?

Oh my god you're still online and not in the ER.
Rach3
Jul14-06, 07:03 PM
Quote Quote by heartless
I hydrogen peroxided the wound
Read the label. Topical antiseptics aren't intended for deep or puncture wounds.
Evo
Jul14-06, 07:04 PM
Mentor
P: 25,928
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
You wouldn't put a bandaid over a knife stab-wound so why aren't you at the doctor right now?

Oh my god you're still online and not in the ER.
Maybe he's gone into shock.
Kurdt
Jul14-06, 07:04 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I think after these replies he ran to the ER in so much haste he left the PC on
arildno
Jul14-06, 07:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
He's finally logged off. I hope he makes it.
Kurdt
Jul14-06, 07:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Depends if hes walking or taking a taxi.
arildno
Jul14-06, 07:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
GET OFF THE NET heartless!!!
Cyrus
Jul14-06, 07:15 PM
P: 4,780
Nice job kid, you take it like a real man

Go see a doctor, but you didnt run around with your head cut off like pengwuino would....

He makes threads when he burns himself making pizza, how pathetic.

You could always pull it out with the backside of the hammer. Hard core! Just kidding
heartless
Jul14-06, 07:20 PM
P: 214
Well... I can't just go, I can't go myself, and my parents don't want to for various reasons. (One of them is they think it'll be over in a few days.) It takes too much time in a hospital. I once twisted my ankle and it took me entire day for x-rays, cast and all others. Hospital is an hour-long drive from here.

If you're worried this will affect your income I say whats more important?
Doesn't insurance cover hospitalization?

Thanks for replies. I think I'll wait until tomorrow with this. We'll see how it goes.

Register to reply