Register to reply

Alpha particles

by whoknows12345
Tags: alpha, particles
Share this thread:
whoknows12345
Jul23-06, 01:38 AM
P: 11
An alpha particle (the nucleus of a helium atom) consists of two protons and two neutrons. A horizontal beam of alpha particles is injected with a speed of 2.0 105 m/s into a region with a vertical magnetic field of magnitude 0.113 T.

(a) How long does it take for an alpha particle to move halfway through a complete circle?

I am trying to apply this equation:

T = 2pieM/qB

and I thought about it, do I use the speed as my q and for m, find the mass of (two protons and two neutrons) for my m?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Andrew Mason
Jul23-06, 02:34 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,653
Quote Quote by whoknows12345
An alpha particle (the nucleus of a helium atom) consists of two protons and two neutrons. A horizontal beam of alpha particles is injected with a speed of 2.0 105 m/s into a region with a vertical magnetic field of magnitude 0.113 T.

(a) How long does it take for an alpha particle to move halfway through a complete circle?

I am trying to apply this equation:

T = 2pieM/qB

and I thought about it, do I use the speed as my q and for m, find the mass of (two protons and two neutrons) for my m?
Rather than trying to apply an equation why not start by telling us what physics law applies here.

The T is the period of the circular motion, m is the mass, q is the charge, and B is the magnetic field. Look up the mass of a helium atom and use that (the electrons do not add much mass). What is the charge of a helium nucleus?

AM
whoknows12345
Jul23-06, 10:15 PM
P: 11
i understand that, but when do I actually use my speed given to find the answer?

Andrew Mason
Jul23-06, 10:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,653
Alpha particles

Quote Quote by whoknows12345
i understand that, but when do I actually use my speed given to find the answer?
What is the relationship between speed and magnetic force on a moving charge? That is what you have to use. You then have to relate that to circular motion to find the radius of the circular path. That will give you the distance the particle has to move through.

AM

Register to reply