Help With Finding The Speed of an Alpha Particle

In summary, the conversation is about alpha decay and the speed of an alpha particle emitted from a uranium nucleus. The equation K_{}f + qV_{}f = K_{}i+qV_{}i is used to calculate the speed of the alpha particle. The final speed is found to be 4.1 x 10^7 m/s.
Shakenbake158
Hey guys, I am having a hard time solving for this problem, and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Homework Statement

In the form of radioactive decay known as alpha decay, an unstable nucleus emits a helium-atom nucleus, which is called an alpha particle. An alpha particle contains two protons and two neutrons, thus having mass m=4u and charge q=2e. Suppose a uranium nucleus with 92 protons decays into thorium, with 90 protons, and an alpha particle. The alpha particle is initially at rest at the surface of the thorium nucleus, which is 15 fm in diameter.

What is the speed of the alpha particle when it is detected in the laboratory? Assume the thorium nucleus remains at rest.

Homework Equations

K[itex]_{}f[/itex]+qV[itex]_{}f[/itex] = K[itex]_{}i[/itex]+qV[itex]_{}i[/itex]

V = KQ/R

e=1.6*10^-19

The Attempt at a Solution

K[itex]_{}f[/itex] + 0 = 0 + qV[itex]_{}i[/itex]

1/2MV^2 = q(KQ/R)

R = 1.5*10^-14 meters

K = 8.99*10^9

Q = 90(1.6*10^-19)Coulombs

q = 2e

m = 4u

(1/2)(4u)V^2 = 8630400 m/s

(2u)V^2 = 8630400 m/s

V = 2077.31 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Always show units in you calculations.

DONT WORRY I GOT ALL THE ANSWERS! :D:D:D:D:D:D
remember that 15 fm is the diameter not the radius
then just do it :D

Kf = qVi
.5(4u)v^2 = (2e)(k x 90e)/(7.5 fm)
k = 8.99 x 10^9
e = 1.6 x 10^-19
4u = 6.6422 x 10^-27 kg
7.5 fm = .75 x 10^-14 m

solve for v
ANSWER: 4.1 x 10^7 m/s

this is a little old :DD

What is an alpha particle?

An alpha particle is a type of particle that is made up of two protons and two neutrons. It is a form of ionizing radiation and is commonly emitted by radioactive materials.

How can I find the speed of an alpha particle?

The speed of an alpha particle can be found using the equation v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it took for the particle to travel that distance. The distance can be measured using a ruler, and the time can be measured using a stopwatch.

What is the speed of an alpha particle usually measured in?

The speed of an alpha particle is usually measured in meters per second (m/s). However, in some cases, it may also be measured in kilometers per second (km/s) or miles per hour (mph).

What factors can affect the speed of an alpha particle?

The speed of an alpha particle can be affected by several factors, including the energy of the particle, the density of the medium it is traveling through, and any forces acting upon it such as electric or magnetic fields.

Why is it important to know the speed of an alpha particle?

Knowing the speed of an alpha particle is important in various fields, such as nuclear physics and medicine. It can help scientists understand the behavior of radioactive materials and their effects on living organisms. It can also aid in the development of radiation therapy treatments for cancer patients.