Register to reply

What's it called when...

by larkspur
Tags: called
Share this thread:
larkspur
Jul28-06, 08:19 PM
P: 791
Is there a term for the phenomenon that I experienced last weekend ? I got out the steamvac to clean carpets and noted the dirty water collector tank was missing. I looked all over the house and garage and even looked on the patio for it. This is not a small part. It is about a foot deep and ten inches wide. I could NOT find it.

Today, I went to iron a shirt in the spare room where the steamvac is kept and guess what was on the ironing board?
Plain as day right in front of my eyes!!! I had probably looked directly at the tank who knows how many times but didn't see it.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
American Ebola doc: 'I am thrilled to be alive'
Instant noodles carry health risks for women: study
Extracorporeal support can significantly increase number of organs for transplant
neutrino
Jul29-06, 01:57 AM
P: 2,046
Not-looking-at-the-right-places-syndrome?
Math Is Hard
Jul29-06, 02:46 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
An interesting question. Perhaps you were giving some judgemental weight to places the part might be found and the ironing board had a low probability as a candidate. So even if you glanced in that direction it received very low attention and didn't make it past your sensory register for further processing.

larkspur
Jul29-06, 07:46 AM
What's it called when...

Quote Quote by Math Is Hard
An interesting question. Perhaps you were giving some judgemental weight to places the part might be found and the ironing board had a low probability as a candidate. So even if you glanced in that direction it received very low attention and didn't make it past your sensory register for further processing.
I have heard my friends talk about their husbands who never seem to be able to find or see something that is right in front of them (especially if it is in the refrigerator). When it happened to me, it made me wonder if I had been using a different logic or thought process than usual.
larkspur
Jul29-06, 10:34 AM
Quote Quote by neutrino
Not-looking-at-the-right-places-syndrome?
How about snake bit syndrome? 'Cause if it was a snake it would have bit me............six or seven times
selfAdjoint
Jul29-06, 10:40 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
Another one of my anecdotal reports, this one on this phenomenon, which I suggest we call changrin de vu.

Long, long ago I was involved in an involved, ultimately unsuccessful love affair. On one occasion very late in the affair I got word that unless I called my inamorata that night all bets were off. I was in the student union when this happpened at dinnertime, and I had about a mile walk though town to my lodgings, so I started looking for a pay phone, but I couldn't find one. I looked faithfully all along that mile but no pay phones, and the room I rented had no phone so I was up the proverbial creek. No call.

I slept soundly that night and woke up refreshed. Walking the same route back to the union for breakfast, I counted four pay phones.

That's when I really started to believe in the subconscious.

I
DaveC426913
Jul29-06, 11:45 AM
P: 15,319
I believe it's called attention blindness. Jay Ingram wrote 'Theatre of the Mind' - an entire book about how we only consciously process about 5% of what we take in. It's a great book.
Mickey
Aug2-06, 02:20 AM
P: 212
Quote Quote by DaveC426913
I believe it's called attention blindness.
Close. Inattentional blindness
chroot
Aug2-06, 02:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Motorists stop at intersections, and look for other cars. Unfortunately for me, they'll often look right through me, a bicyclist, as if I were not there.

- Warren
Gelsamel Epsilon
Aug2-06, 03:15 AM
P: 316
I heard other names for it, like domestic Blindness?
larkspur
Aug2-06, 09:00 AM
Quote Quote by Mickey
That would be it. Now I am wondering if I really lost the boat keys or if they are sitting here right in front of me now.........
Mk
Aug2-06, 11:22 AM
P: 2,056
Quote Quote by chroot
Motorists stop at intersections, and look for other cars. Unfortunately for me, they'll often look right through me, a bicyclist, as if I were not there.

- Warren
Not if you paint it fire engine red with dry ice on the wheels and ride nude!

Register to reply